Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Welcome To The Other Side - Jean-Michel Jarre New Year Eve’s concert at Notre-Dame in VR

Post Posted Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:59 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

Jote wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:38 pm (P.S. why is BBCode OFF?)
I think it is on the News topics, I'm not sure why.
Post Posted Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:13 pm
Dr_Jones

Here's my rip of the broadcast. It's an mp3 because the broadcast was in mp3. I've encoded it to 320kbps though.
https://drjones.home.xs4all.nl/jarre/mp ... radio8.mp3

The final note of the concert is crossfaded into another track :-/ That's what you get with nonstop radio, I guess.
Post Posted Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:38 pm
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

Dr_Jones wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:13 pm The final note of the concert is crossfaded into another track :-/ That's what you get with nonstop radio, I guess.
there is not just that
Also parasites from the second song and next
Disappointed, I had everything prepared, the sound is of good quality but spoiled by these 'crackles'
it spoils the experience
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:09 am
SF01

Likes received  : 2

Jote wrote:
> Dr_Jones wrote:
> > The 5.1 mix was done by Radio France, just like the binaural mix. I have
> > not heard anything about a physical release though, but I might have missed
> > that on the live chat.
>
> I think he mentioned that 5.1/Binaural version of WTTOS will be available as
> downloads much like Amazonia (so no binaural vinyl), hinting that WTTOS might get a
> release. Then near the end he said something about a "special project"
> related to WTTOS coming around June.
>
> (P.S. why is BBCode OFF?)

The 5.1 appears to be matrixed into 2.0 file, like the old Dolby Surround on VHS, is that correct? Is it supposed to be decoded into 5.1 from encided stereo, like quad vinyl, or SQ CD?
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:22 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Dr_Jones wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:13 pm Here's my rip of the broadcast. It's an mp3 because the broadcast was in mp3. I've encoded it to 320kbps though.
https://drjones.home.xs4all.nl/jarre/mp ... radio8.mp3

The final note of the concert is crossfaded into another track :-/ That's what you get with nonstop radio, I guess.
What's the point though? Wasn't it the same as the one ripped from Hyperradio?

Moreover, I managed to *download* a plain m4a from FIP that ends properly. I did that several minutes after the live broadcast started.

https://media.radiofrance-podcast.net/p ... 8S0076.m4a

link still works for me as of 18.03 08:21 CET. File size is almost the same as the one from Hyperradio (which doesn't have the female voice at the start, so why bother anyway)
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

A proper recording (well, three so far) of the gig without any of the annoying clapping effects! Fantastic.

I guess fip-webradio8.mp3 might have the best sound quality... or just most bass? Jote's recording has Time Machine ending properly, so I guess that can be supplanted over the version in fip-webradio8.mp3.

(Then again, if I try to compare the three files, JMJARRE_WTTOS_MASTERING_BINO_-16LUFS_AAC_192kbps doesn't sound as "lo-fi" as it did yesterday to my ears... oh well)
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:43 am
Jote

Finaero wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 am I guess fip-webradio8.mp3 might have the best sound quality...
I don't think so, it's likely the opposite. The broadcast was in 128kbps (and I wouldn't be surprised if they were just playing that 192kbps m4a, because why bother). Which then Jones reencoded again to 320kbps.

So I'd say that either the one that I posted or the one from Hyperradio is the best.
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:45 am
Dr_Jones

Jote wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:22 am What's the point though? Wasn't it the same as the one ripped from Hyperradio?
the Hyperradio recordings are better (the FIP one being a 128kpbs mp3), but this is for the people who are interested in having them all.
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:57 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Whoops, missed the part about re-encoding to 320kbps... or maybe I just prefer worse audio recordings (would explain my own mixing) ;)

Also, missed the 5.1 (or 5.0 as Jote mentioned) file from the other thread, that's also pretty nice - especially for possible wacky edits
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:48 am
Jote

SF01 wrote:
> Jote wrote:
> > Dr_Jones wrote:
> > > The 5.1 mix was done by Radio France, just like the binaural mix. I have
> > > not heard anything about a physical release though, but I might have missed
> > > that on the live chat.
> >
> > I think he mentioned that 5.1/Binaural version of WTTOS will be available as
> > downloads much like Amazonia (so no binaural vinyl), hinting that WTTOS might
> get a
> > release. Then near the end he said something about a "special project"
> > related to WTTOS coming around June.
> >
> > (P.S. why is BBCode OFF?)
>
> The 5.1 appears to be matrixed into 2.0 file, like the old Dolby Surround on VHS, is
> that correct? Is it supposed to be decoded into 5.1 from encided stereo, like quad
> vinyl, or SQ CD?

I'm not sure if I understand you, can you elaborate? For sure when I play the file on a 2.0 system using Media Player Classic HC it doesn't sound "right" (i.e. I think it only plays Front Left and Front Right)
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:00 pm
SF01

Likes received  : 2

Jote wrote:
> SF01 wrote:
> > Jote wrote:
> > > Dr_Jones wrote:
> > > > The 5.1 mix was done by Radio France, just like the binaural mix. I
> have
> > > > not heard anything about a physical release though, but I might have
> missed
> > > > that on the live chat.
> > >
> > > I think he mentioned that 5.1/Binaural version of WTTOS will be available
> as
> > > downloads much like Amazonia (so no binaural vinyl), hinting that WTTOS
> might
> > get a
> > > release. Then near the end he said something about a "special
> project"
> > > related to WTTOS coming around June.
> > >
> > > (P.S. why is BBCode OFF?)
> >
> > The 5.1 appears to be matrixed into 2.0 file, like the old Dolby Surround on
> VHS, is
> > that correct? Is it supposed to be decoded into 5.1 from encided stereo, like
> quad
> > vinyl, or SQ CD?
>
> I'm not sure if I understand you, can you elaborate? For sure when I play the file on
> a 2.0 system using Media Player Classic HC it doesn't sound "right" (i.e. I
> think it only plays Front Left and Front Right)

I know, where the problem is, MediaInfo shows this as:
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel(s)_Original : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz / 24.0 kHz

Hence my confusion, I dropped it in Audacity and it shows the 5.1.

Now, what's left is to encode a Blu-Ray with the original stereo download, binaural and 5.1 and the original concert stream, the problem is the concert was 50+ minutes and the audios are condensed to 45 minutes.

And I especially bought another 46min tape to record WttOS, now I might as well record on C90, stereo on one side, binaural on the other side (pun unintended, or is it?).
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:45 pm
Jote

You'd have to edit the binaural and 5.1 recordings to align them with the original stereo I guess. Although I don't think 5.1 audio editing tools are very common. Adobe Audition 3.0 that I have just opens it as 5 separate mono files.
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:28 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

Audacity also opens it is 5 seperate mono files, still it is interesting to mute different channels & hear elements of the tracks you wouldn't normally hear on their own.
FYI if Audacity will not open M4A files, you need to close Audacity & install the FFmpeg library.
Last edited by Adam on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:00 pm
Dr_Jones

My Audacity opens m4a files just fine (v2.2.1 running on Linux here)
Post Posted Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:17 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

I've got v2.4.2 & it refused to open M4A.
Probably because I am missing the optional FFmpeg library, just downloading that now, I will edit my post.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl