Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

RMI Harmonic Synthesizer arpeggio mode(s)

Post Posted Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:47 am
ZooTooK

Hi all

I'm trying to understand the arpeggiator modes on the RMI Harmonic Synthesizer. The product leaflet stated Up and Random mode. Also the post inserted below describes the arpeggiator modes, saying that the random mode is a bug. The Jarrography web states that "First generator can play a "sequence" while a solo line is played with the second generator".

Looking at the few pictures I've found of the user interface I see no sign of arpeggiator mode anywhere and no sign of setting them separatly for each channel.

Anyone that can share some insights on this?

/ZooTooK

PS, Sorry for the poor reference to the inserted port .DS

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:35 pm Re: Equinoxe 3 intro sequences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VinceBlood wrote:
Does someone achieved to cover the Equinoxe 3 bell sequences ?

I understand the fx and sequence but I'm still trying to find the right sound behind.

There two looped sequences :

Left : RMI (sequencer) -> Flanger -> Small Stone (that made the sound strange and sequence random like)
Right : RMI (octave random mode sequencer) -> Flanger

Thnx Vince! Intresting

The RMI onboard sequencer is nothing more then a simple up-arpegiator. It's being started by pushing the sequencer tempo control. If you press no key then the sequencer is still 'off'. If you press one key that key is scanned and played back according to the tempo specified. If you press more keys they are all played back sequentially in accending order (low key first then the less lower etc..). One can use keyboard peg's (or matches or anything that will hold a key down) to make sequences with a bigger spread then your fingers allow.

As for the random sequence mode... it was actually a design flaw. You have to hold a key and then turn the RMI on. The final problem with my virtual RMI is this random sequencer mode... It's a pain in Reaktor...

Since the bell sequence contains pauses between and/or double (=same) notes it must be that he played them manually on the RMI (Left channel). It could be he recorded the loops on tape that way.

I still firmly believe it's the ARP + (Matri) Sequencer for both left and right channel... The bubbling sound R->L is most definately a nice example of S/H utilizing the 2600 (again ) through the phaser.

Do you have an example of what you made so far?

J.
Post Posted Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 pm
LeoDaV

ZooTooK wrote:Hi all

I'm trying to understand the arpeggiator modes on the RMI Harmonic Synthesizer. The product leaflet stated Up and Random mode. Also the post inserted below describes the arpeggiator modes, saying that the random mode is a bug. The Jarrography web states that "First generator can play a "sequence" while a solo line is played with the second generator".

Looking at the few pictures I've found of the user interface I see no sign of arpeggiator mode anywhere and no sign of setting them separatly for each channel.

Anyone that can share some insights on this?
The up-arpegiator ('sequencer') only works on both channels. Jarrography's info is outdated.

The random mode is, as I described earlier, a true bug. It was not designed intentionally. The 'bug' was lateron described as an extra 'feature' (like most bug's :D)

As for the location: look carefully in the middle:
ImageImage

Or a better picture from a past auction on ebay:

On the panel it's called 'sequencer' but in reality it's an up-arpegiator. The up-mode is the only (fixed) mode there is on the RMI. It's not switchable (up/down/etc..) like on newer synths. You have to push the potentiometer to turn the 'sequencer' mode ON. The potentiometer itselve regulates the 'sequencer' speed.

One of the definitions of a sequencer is: it's programmable. The RMI's 'sequencer' is not. It works the same as the arpegiator on, for instance, the polysix.

Hope this is what you where looking for.

J.
Post Posted Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:30 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

So may I ask why you didn't buy it? :shock:
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 am
Mogwai

The RMI would be a cool thing to own. Very odd looking and sounding beast!
I have got the demo LP that RMI released to promote this synth together with the Keyboard Computer. Nothing that sounds anywhere near as cool as the stuff Jarre did on Oxygene V. But it still has got a unique, metallic sound. :)
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:44 am
ZooTooK

Thank's Johan for the info.

The UP arpeggios can be heard on Oxygene but I can't identify any random runs on Oxygen or Equinoxe, which got me thinking. Seems like a nice feature that should have been used...

I take it that you have (had) access to the real thing, as you know how to "enable" the random mode?
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:38 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 2

Man every time I look at that filter, it just looks so juicy!
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 pm
Jarp2600

Me also wants to have one yes! :P
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:12 pm
LeoDaV

GeeJee wrote:So may I ask why you didn't buy it? :shock:
It was sold before I found out it was auctioned... /me was in a bad humour for over a week!
Besides it went for almost 3500 EUR... lotsa cash...
ZooTooK wrote:The UP arpeggios can be heard on Oxygene but I can't identify any random runs on Oxygen or Equinoxe, which got me thinking. Seems like a nice feature that should have been used...

I take it that you have (had) access to the real thing, as you know how to "enable" the random mode?
I know a guy who owns one (one of the 4 known RMI's in Europe (that's including JMJ's)). I had a long talk with him about the RMI, got samples and pictures of his RMI (sorry can't share them I had to promise that and I keep my promisses). He explained exactly how to do it.

As for the random mode listen to the right channel of Oxygene 5.

The up-arpegio is made up of the keys you press on the keyboard. For example if you press C3 G3 Bb3 C4 you end up with the sequence you can hear below ;)

Maybe you've seen my software RMI clone:
It sounds like this

I even have a page on it here.

J.
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:15 pm
Jarp2600

That's a nice sound!
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios
Post Posted Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:46 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Did JMJ sell his, or is it known that he still has it?
Post Posted Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:01 am
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

Synthesist wrote:Did JMJ sell his, or is it known that he still has it?
The best thing would be to ask Francis :P
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016
Post Posted Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:09 am
Jakob BC

Yeah I think we could ask him about many things... untill he gets tired by answering 8)
Post Posted Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:17 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

I can confirm he still owns it.
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:27 am
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

GeeJee wrote:I can confirm he still owns it.
Yeah !
But does he use it ? :P
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016
Post Posted Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:37 am
Jakob BC

So all the rumours that he sold it are fake or just guessing. He has stored other goodies so why not this also.

2020 Zoolook.nl