Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Kurzweil K2000

Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:01 pm
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

Hi !

I just listened to audio demos on www.bluesynths.com and OMGz, it rowks !!
Now I understand why JMJ used it, this synth is a monster, its sounds are warm and soooo beautiful !!
Added to my wishlist :P

Regards,
Nicolas
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:48 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

It's not too expensive, but it's a bitch to program :mrgreen:
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:17 pm
Nico_Noyau

Ah yes ? Really ?
But maybe there is no need to program it, patches are maybe enough :P
Image Image
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:23 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

no realtime controls + unknown synthesis approach = bitch to program :nod:
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:32 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

I have never really found out what he used it for except for a controller. It has been with him since it's release I think.
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:35 pm
Nico_Noyau

I have heard tha many things from Chronologie and EiC were from this synth, although I can't find which ones :P :hombre:
Image Image
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:42 pm
Equinoxe

GeeJee wrote:no realtime controls + unknown synthesis approach = bitch to program :nod:

The Synthesis is the same as any other S+S Workstation,its the menu structure that will be the only alien approach if your not used to Kurzweil products,infact many users praise it as one of the best Workstations made,and one of the few that contain a 32 track sequencer.Its never appealed to me but read any user review about it and they'll say it easy to use and a workhorse especially with the sampler expansion!!! 64 Mb is a lot for a 1991 produced synth,although its dwarfed by todays standards,but you can see why many people say its great

Polyhony is a bit shit though 24 note poly????on a 32 track workstation seems a little backwards,especially if like many other synths double programs or Double PCM element sounds use 2 notes of poly for a single note

for the time it was produced it was quite a powerful machine and one of the few workstations that had a fledged sampler facility too

I thought Jarre was involved with the development of the K2000 or at least some of their Rack unitsI seem to vaguley remember reading something about his input about the time of press for EIC tour,plus I wonder if he was given the K2000 As an endorsement,as he's appeared in Magazine Ads for the K2000
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Nico_Noyau wrote:I have heard tha many things from Chronologie and EiC were from this synth, although I can't find which ones :P :hombre:
Yes I think you are right. It can do so much different stuff that it can be difficult to say what sounds it was used for.
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:40 pm
radek tymecki

Nico_Noyau wrote:I have heard tha many things from Chronologie and EiC were from this synth, although I can't find which ones :P :hombre:
Well JMJ mostly used it as... SAMPLER :) Those strange background loops at the end of chronologie 5 etc :) and tic-tac seqs
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:48 pm
Nico_Noyau

Owwww
I made a mistake between it and the one you used on your covers (can't remember the name...)
Image Image
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:19 pm
Pete

Nico_Noyau wrote:Hi !

I just listened to audio demos on www.bluesynths.com and OMGz, it rowks !!
Now I understand why JMJ used it, this synth is a monster, its sounds are warm and soooo beautiful !!
Added to my wishlist :P

Regards,
Nicolas
It's cool, isn't it?
Do you remember the demos I did for you with some of the VP sounds last year?

Since it has not knobs or sliders (well, one yes) it is not as quick as a virus/nord/JP-8000.
But it's a different synth in the end, and it's son of its times.

The cool thing is that all parameters are expressed in their real values (milliseconds for envelopes, Hertz for LFO, dB for levels, etc. rather than the classic 1-127 "mystic" values)
A lot of parameters are controllable via Control Changes and other MIDI parameters, so after a while you will be able to get some real time control over the sounds.

It's not really true about its polyphony being limited to 24 voices. Actually algorhytms which employs synthetic waveform generation allow a greater polyphony (up to 96 voices-if I am not wrong). 24 is the number of voices for PCM sampled waveforms.
Its real limit is the poor effect processor based on a Digitech chip

It's a very good instruments im my opinion, a must have for any synth addict. Another great feature is its ability to cut through in a mix. I remember when I purchased my K2000R back in 1998 that I was impressed in how it was cutting its sonic space in the mix between my beloved wavestation and other Roland stuff.

I was shocked to see last week in a shop a K2000 keyboard for 380 EUR and a K2000R for 300... if you are into hardware gears you can't miss one for that price.

By the way, I just ended my search for expansion on eBay. In two years I purchased the 2 additional ROMs (with doughterboard) the PRAM (to hold a lot more of objects like hundreds of presets) the SAMPLING option. Now I miss 32 mega of 30 pin RAM and my K2000R is fully beefed up! :smoke:
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Equinoxe wrote:
GeeJee wrote:no realtime controls + unknown synthesis approach = bitch to program :nod:

The Synthesis is the same as any other S+S Workstation,its the menu structure that will be the only alien approach if your not used to Kurzweil products,infact many users praise it .....
Mmm.. I'll look a bit deeper into it then. I wasn't impressed by the Bluesynth excerpts though... roll:
I thought Jarre was involved with the development of the K2000 or at least some of their Rack unitsI seem to vaguley remember reading something about his input about the time of press for EIC tour,plus I wonder if he was given the K2000 As an endorsement,as he's appeared in Magazine Ads for the K2000
He did indeed appear in magazine ads, but as far as his involvement in the development is concerned, I don't know. I do know it used to be one of Dominique Perrier's favourite synths. And I heard JM used it a lot as midi keyboard because of it's nice solid touch.
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:48 pm
Nico_Noyau

Oh yeah Pete, I remember now ! :D
I'll listen to them again, I still have them, fosho :P

For that price, added to my wishlist and will be bought before 2010 ! :nod:
Image Image
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:57 pm
Nico_Noyau

Just listened to Pete's demos...
Can I share them here, Pete ?

They are AWESOME !!!
Are these sounds only from the VP or from the K2000 too ?
Image Image
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Post Posted Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:07 pm
Big time

I´ve got a K-2000 also! :P Hehe

Bought it back in 96/97 I think! Hmm... Loooong time ago now! :D

But a must have! It still sounds warm, soft and beautyful! And it also looks beautyful, in some way! :wink: :P
King of smileys :D

2020 Zoolook.nl