Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

TR-808 in Rendez-Vous 4 ?

Post Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:54 pm
thhedk

I have made cover of Rendez 4, and I think the drums are ok, using Linn 9000 samples, but I can see on the CD, that he uses Linn and TR-808 on that song.
Any ideas for what?

Rendez 4 cover
Post Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:59 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

I have no idea, but perhaps to spice up the kick and snares? They sound a bit too 'dull' with the Linn only...

Anyhow. Great cover and awesome vid! :D
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:10 pm
thhedk

GeeJee wrote:I have no idea, but perhaps to spice up the kick and snares? They sound a bit too 'dull' with the Linn only...

Anyhow. Great cover and awesome vid! :D
Thanks, but I almost forgot, I have cheated, in the snare there is a sample of the Souvenir of China snare, that is totally isolated in the end of the song :)
I think it sounded a bit like that sound :)
Post Posted Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:44 pm
chronos

thhedk wrote:I have made cover of Rendez 4, and I think the drums are ok, using Linn 9000 samples, but I can see on the CD, that he uses Linn and TR-808 on that song.
Any ideas for what?

Rendez 4 cover
Hey! Me likes this very much! sounds a lot better than the real thing being played live at the moment, well done!
Post Posted Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:43 pm
Beelooo

thhedk wrote:I have made cover of Rendez 4, and I think the drums are ok, using Linn 9000 samples, but I can see on the CD, that he uses Linn and TR-808 on that song.
Any ideas for what?

Rendez 4 cover

I think TR808 was used for hi-hat, and it seems to be a slight delay or chorus on it. Maybe the whole drums are doubled by 808. I just get a try on it, check this.

RDV 4 Drums test

BTW, exellent works on RDV i like it very much, Bravo ! Maybe just reduce EG release on bass. And nice video too ^^

Good job
Concerts attends :
EIC Versailles, September 1993
Oxygen Tour Paris, October 1997
Electronic Night Paris, July 1998
Marigny, December 2007
POPB, March 2010
Electronica TOUR POPB (Accor Hotel Arena), December 2016
Post Posted Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:17 pm
Pete

@ thhedk : great cover and great video! Did you use Korg's arpeggiator or did you program every note for the fast arpeggio notes? Very very good!

As to the drums I think that the main rhythm is ONLY TR-808.
The "pulse" rhythm is 808 KICK+SNARE and the also hats are clearly 808.
I think the Linn 9000 was used as a sequencer (actually it was a very good sequencer at the time) and might be responsible for some percussion fx.

I think the use of Linn samples and the overall reverb amount make the cover sounding more like the Huston live version.
Post Posted Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:26 pm
thhedk

Pete wrote:@ thhedk : great cover and great video! Did you use Korg's arpeggiator or did you program every note for the fast arpeggio notes? Very very good!

I think the Linn 9000 was used as a sequencer (actually it was a very good sequencer at the time) and might be responsible for some percussion fx.

I think the use of Linn samples and the overall reverb amount make the cover sounding more like the Huston live version.
Thanks.
Some of the sequencing I just played, it's easy today when you can quantize it.
But the fast sequencer is a pattern where I play the transpose via the keybord, this is the only way he could do that in 1986 I am sure.
I think I got the drums sound ok with the Linn9000, but I can't find a good sample of 808, anyone got it??

But you might have a point, because the slower sequencer is not the same all the way, so it's not a fixed pattern. It is clearly quantized so it is not played "live". Here the Linn9000 might have worked as a sequencer.

Anyone got a 808 sample pack?
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:44 am
JPQ

thhedk wrote:
Pete wrote:@ thhedk : great cover and great video! Did you use Korg's arpeggiator or did you program every note for the fast arpeggio notes? Very very good!

Thanks.
Some of the sequencing I just played, it's easy today when you can quantize it.
But the fast sequencer is a pattern where I play the transpose via the keybord, this is the only way he could do that in 1986 I am sure.
I think I got the drums sound ok with the Linn9000, but I can't find a good sample of 808, anyone got it??

But you might have a point, because the slower sequencer is not the same all the way, so it's not a fixed pattern. It is clearly quantized so it is not played "live". Here the Linn9000 might have worked as a sequencer.

http://aminet.net/mods/smpl/tr-808.lha
ps. same site have also other tr-series samples go main page.
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:57 am
thhedk

Beelooo wrote: I think TR808 was used for hi-hat, and it seems to be a slight delay or chorus on it. Maybe the whole drums are doubled by 808. I just get a try on it, check this.

RDV 4 Drums test

BTW, exellent works on RDV i like it very much, Bravo ! Maybe just reduce EG release on bass. And nice video too ^^

Good job
You might be right, I was just so focused on the Linn9000, and I still think it sounds ok, but could be even more perfect with the 808 drums.

There is a 7ms left/right delay on the HiHats.

What is EG Release? I'm not sure, because it is not called that in Reason 4
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:53 pm
Beelooo

thhedk wrote:
You might be right, I was just so focused on the Linn9000, and I still think it sounds ok, but could be even more perfect with the 808 drums.

The Amp Envelope release. I think it is too long on the bass.

So you use korg poly6 and reason for the cover ?
Concerts attends :
Marigny, December 2007
POPB, March 2010
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 pm
thhedk

Beelooo wrote:
thhedk wrote:

The Amp Envelope release. I think it is too long on the bass.

So you use korg poly6 and reason for the cover ?
Ok, but I am not doing another version now, I almost became tired of the song after 100 hours :o)

NÃ¥ the synth on the video is just for show (a bit like Jarre's concerts ;o) the song is made 100% in Reason, exept a compressor I put on the final file in Audition.
Post Posted Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:26 pm
Beelooo

thhedk wrote:
If you use reason, you can even use rebirth with it ; then you'll have 808 and 909 samples

The only problem is that rebirth don't really like 48 and 96khz....
Concerts attends :
Marigny, December 2007
POPB, March 2010
Post Posted Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:39 pm
keran

Hi, your cover is very impressive!

What did you use for the effects resonance?
Post Posted Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:15 pm
thhedk

keran wrote:Hi, your cover is very impressive!

What did you use for the effects resonance?
Thanks
Hmm, can you be more precise?
Post Posted Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:16 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

do you mean resonant effects?
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:

2020 Zoolook.nl