Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Currently, we are experiencing some DNS problems. We hope to fix this as soon as possible.

We have migrated to a new server. As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

How to recreate the sound FX in Oxygene2 ?

Post Posted Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 pm
jeremy

Hi all.

I'm talking of a sound based on an LFO with variable speed and a pitch bend down at the end of the sound.

I can't figure out how to recreate this sound. :?

At 0:25

What the LFO is modulating, that kind of stuff... I would be very grateful to anyone who could provide some hints. :wink:

Edit: I've got a Nordlead 2X so there is no problem designing the sound with all the needed modulations. It's just me... I can't seem to find the correct shape of the LFO and the destination.
Main synths: Roland Fantom X6, XP80, Alesis Ion, Korg 01/WFD, Wavestation SR, Oberheim Matrix 1000.
Post Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:48 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

Isn't this the typical VCS3 trapezoid EG?
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 2

GeeJee wrote:Isn't this the typical VCS3 trapezoid EG?
Modulating OSC 1?
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:34 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Or the (resonating) filter.
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:46 pm
Apul

I think you can say with almost certainty that its a VCS3/Synthi A - based only on the synths that JMJ had at the time. The effect is an LFO (on VCS3 this will be OSC 3) modulating either one or both of the other oscillators, most likely set to sawtooth waveforms. The get the effect the LFO speed will be modulated manually, either by the rate (Frequency) dial within the oscillator, or it may be mapped to the joystick. Often you'll find that filters play a part too, starting dull, brightening up, then dulling down as they fade away. This again will be done manually, either by adjusting the cutoff knob or again, assigning it to the joystick.

The joy with the VCS3/Synthi A is that both the LFO frequency and the filter can be assigned at the same time. This style of sound can be achieved with almost any analogue or virtual analogue synth with one assignable LFO and at least one oscillator.

Having said all that, GeeGee may also be correct in saying that it's the Trapezoid Envelope - on the EMS gear it isn't really an envelope in the terms of ADSR, but more of a trigger. The Trapezoid Envelopes are unique to the EMS gear but I think Doepfer have made a trapezoid module for their A100 modular system.
Post Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 pm
Apul

Forgot to mention, delay is also applied to the sound, and JMJ has a trick of assigning the dry signal to the left and the delayed signal to the right hand channels.

Delay effects are available everywhere, some VA synths have them built in. The Boss DD3 is a great delay pedal if you want to experiment further.
Post Posted Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:25 pm
Pete

jeremy wrote:Hi all.

I'm talking of a sound based on an LFO with variable speed and a pitch bend down at the end of the sound.

I can't figure out how to recreate this sound. :?

At 0:25

What the LFO is modulating, that kind of stuff... I would be very grateful to anyone who could provide some hints. :wink:

Edit: I've got a Nordlead 2X so there is no problem designing the sound with all the needed modulations. It's just me... I can't seem to find the correct shape of the LFO and the destination.
This guy shows it on his Moog Little Phatty (...after the first 30 seconds...)

Post Posted Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:34 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 2

Also with that sound, and most of the EMS sounds on Oxy 1, 2, Equi 4, he uses extreme filtering, so that that occupy a very small amount of the spectrum while they are in the mix. Both lowpassing and highpassing.

The second trick that he employed is that he always played those sweeps in the same key to that of the track.
So on Oxygene 2, if you notice all the sweeps start and end either on G or C.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:59 am
Apul

I created these sounds on the Moog Little Phatty and I think they're what you're after?

Post Posted Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 pm
Jon

Found this on YouTube where someone creates the sound from scratch using a Moog Phatty. Maybe of use.

Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Apul wrote:I created these sounds on the Moog Little Phatty and I think they're what you're after?

Brilliant stuff man :D
Post Posted Tue May 03, 2011 7:28 am
jeremy

Thanks a lot !

I'll give it a go after work tonight ! :wink:
Main synths: Roland Fantom X6, XP80, Alesis Ion, Korg 01/WFD, Wavestation SR, Oberheim Matrix 1000.

2020 Zoolook.nl