Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Recording set up

Post Posted Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:30 pm
matt222

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 4

Buying from scratch, what recording set up would you reccomend I purchase?

I have several hardware synths, a hardware sequencer, a Mackie SR24 desk, Lexicon reverbs but no recording set up whatsoever!

What should I buy? I will need a new pc, so the whole package from scratch!
Post Posted Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 pm
christof1971

Hi Matt,

I had a similar dilema when I got all my gear out of moth balls after about 8 years.

I ended up buying an i5 laptop with 8gb Ram with loads of hard drive space and replacing my mixer with one that had USB audio in/out.

This seemed to work well for me, besides if you invest in any new synths they seem to come with USB audio in/out so you can always record direct from the synth or through the mixer.

The mixer I went for was a Behringer Xynex X1832
Post Posted Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:57 am
matt222

I read recently that Jarre uses Ableton Live 8. Is this a multitrack recording program? What computer and monitor would this require?

Does anyone sell this gear on the high street anymore? What's happenend to Turnkey?
Post Posted Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:00 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

Matt, I'm just throwing out some blind possibilities, knowing nothing about your budget and personal preferences.

Firstly, are you getting PC or Mac?

If PC:

- Monitor 24-27 inch - perhaps 2 monitors, one for mixing, another for main screen.

- If you are planning to use tons of samples, go over 8Gb ram.

- CPU is up to you, but look to get something which will handle the latest power hungry plugins.

- On HDD, get 2 or more internal if you're getting a desktop. This way you can use one for the programs, and the other for recording. Works super nice if they are internal and SATA 3
As an alternative, get 3 HDD's. Main: SSD for OS; Second one for Programs and Audio software and 3rd for recording onto.
SSD costs a bit, so it's still usually comes in smaller quantaties. But for the normal disk hard drives, go crazy on terabytes. Space goes fast these days. Esp if you're gonna also use the computer for non audio work, such as video and/or downloading from the internet.

- DAW, there are so many good daws right now, each unique and crafted to a particular style. Each has its pro and cons. Yes your DAWs or your host, is your house, where everything comes together. From where all the software instruments and effects, as well as audio editing, midi and project organization and publishing is accomplished from.

Just research like a maniac for a while every single point, on the internet. See what people are saying. Spend a month just researching, unless you're in hurry. This'll give you much time to assemble a good machine on paper, before you commit. Ask in other forms too, as they may be more up to date with the latest equipment. Search websites that sell hardware, you'll find a ton. Places that assemble a machine for you, specifically for audio purposes.

When you've paired everything down to its best implementation you'll know exactly what you're getting, you'll know about the hardware and the software and you'll be far more ready, than if you were to just walk into a shop right now and get sold because the salesman said so. It's best to choose yourself what you want, otherwise there'll be shortcomings in the hardware department.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:19 pm
matt222

Thanks my friend,

What's the difference between a Mac/PC ?

Budget say £1500..........

I have considered Ableton having read good things - from Jarre too!

I rely on hardware synths. Will a new set up render my Akai ASQ10 Sequencer and Mackie 24 desk redundant?
Post Posted Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:03 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

matt222 wrote:What's the difference between a Mac/PC ?
Uh well, there's about 20 million answers the people of the world would give you on that one! :punch:

https://www.ischool.utexas.edu/technolo ... ences.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=differe ... sb&tbm=vid
Budget say £1500..........
Do a custom build, with a good and reputable builder. You're gonna have to find him. I have no idea who or where they are. I'm not in the UK.
I have considered Ableton having read good things - from Jarre too!
Ableton's good, but so is everything else. It comes down to personal taste more than anything, in these times. There were greater differences between the main contenders, say back 5-10 years ago, than there are now. As I said above, spend a lot of time online researching your interests. You will learn. And learning will pay off, by making the right choices, most streamlined choices that will serve your workflow and desires, artistically.

Google (through which you can find information, reviews and shops) and Youtube (through which you can see how things work in real time and if you would like them.)

Here's some guides:

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... aws-182337

http://getthatprosound.com/15-great-daw ... are-world/

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-daw-software/

I rely on hardware synths. Will a new set up render my Akai ASQ10 Sequencer and Mackie 24 desk redundant?
Well getting computers and relevant software, you'll soon be swamped by mouthwatering plugins (i.e. software synths/samplers/sequencers/all kinds of useful software/drums/effects). Both original and emulations of vintage or hardware units from the past.
Those can really take money out of your pocket, since they don't take up physical space, one can really go nuts. (As some people have found out, that they've spent more time collecting, buying/reselling, or testing free ones and talking about plugins than actually making music with them, as they used to do in their hardware days.)

And no, I don't think it would make any of your hardware redundant. Merely you have to integrate it with the new stuff. And that's a whole subject onto itself.

But 1 step a time. ;)

Oh btw, in response to your other topics, search for already running threads on those topics, on these sites: (As well as in general on Google)

www.kvraudio.com/

https://www.gearslutz.com/
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:17 pm
matt222

So, do I buy a mac/pc, interface , DAW etc..or...............

Do I buy a Tascam DP32 SD portastudio and CD writer ?
Post Posted Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:51 am
Cedhgg

where can I buy it ??? can you give me a recommendation?

----------------------------------------
coque google nexus 6p housse google nexus 6p
Post Posted Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:43 pm
matt222

In the end, I stuck with hardware- the Tascam DP32 with Cd burner.

The results so far can be heard in my thread ' Matt's Creations '

• 2020 Zoolook.nl