Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

A new server, a new environment. Updated and all.

As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mercurey New Album: Electricity

Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:51 pm
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

I am listening by moments, I really want a copy of the album too, I didn't listen to it in its integrality but I love things you did and your equipment so I can't go wrong 8)
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016
Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:55 pm
BnM

Hi Leo

I didn't mean you 8) , although it was in your thread.
I just meant music compositon as a whole. :lol:

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:57 pm
LeoDaV

bangers n mash wrote:Hi Leo

I didn't mean you 8) , although it was in your thread.
I just meant music compositon as a whole. :lol:

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
LOL! :lol: :lol: it was a nice remark anyway :) :) :) :)

Now you have some more insight in the way it works for me :)

J.
Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:06 pm
Velodynamic

I can (as an amature and listener) share some further emotions of your more complete tracks. :wink:

EM I - I like the deep warm bass. I would have like some more "guts" in to it...it keeps hanging in the same patterns for a very long time...but I think the sound is awesome. Too short. :)
Tibet - I was asking for surprises man. I'm sorry, I just can't see them. For me it's like a steam machine pumping the same pattern over and over again...simply not my cup of juice. The vocoder(?) though is quite neat. :)
Electron - A track that launches off with a KW kind of mood, but then it's transforming with a string sound and I only wish you could have hung in there a bit longer. Very suddenly it dies out and is shifting back where you begun for a quick "cut off".
Too short. Otherwise I really like it...maybe an "uncut edition"? ;D
Electrcity - It's very 80'ish popish. It can be the streaming connection, but it sounds a bit "cracked" as if there should have been a weak connection somewhere. Maybe it was ment to be. A sweet little thing. :)
FOAF - I love this one. The samplings a very witty and I can allmost see a music video in front of me. It feels much like a "MTV" version and I don't know exactly how suitable ALL the samples (ie. "faded music, computer-girl #5 delete") really are on a studio album, but I like the guts and as an experimentation. Too short. :)
EM II - Sounds improvised, but I think it can grow. Part weird/false and part glorious.
With the low sub bass beating it could be good as an exersicing/spinning track. :)
Eminentalo - A little to repetitive for me, but the sound is ok. :|
ATC - The "computer game" track. I love the laser-gun sounds and the electric guitar sound adds a new dimention to it. Very good. :)
LR - Not very surprisingly my favorite. The laser sounds are adorable. The transforming at the end where the deep bass comes in are truly fantastic. Only a little complain about the "raggie/blues style bass", the rest is 10/10! Too short. :D
P.S. The later deep bass part here reminds me of Jarre, CiC. ;)

We all have small differences in our tastes...this is mine. As you can see I actually like long tracks even if many people won't prefer it. Overall this is a straggling yet charming collection of songs I think. The time of 6 years can be responsible for that. This little review is based upon the online fibre streaming connection. Bring me a laser disc and it could very well change my opinions for the better or the worse. However I think it would do more justice to your great sound.

Greets! 8)
Last edited by Velodynamic on Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Posted Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:44 pm
LeoDaV

Velodynamic wrote:I can (as an amature and listener) share some further emotions of your more complete tracks. :wink:

EM I - I like the deep warm bass. I would have like some more "guts" in to it...it keeps hanging in the same patterns for a very long time...but I think the sound is awesome. Too short. :)
I have to agree on the "hanging in the same patterns". It's the lack of variation here. Sounds are great but the structure could be improved. I never finished it propperly I had plans for synthi fx (even recorded them) but it did not do justice. So I left it as it is now...
Velodynamic wrote:Tibet - I was asking for surprises man. I'm sorry, I just can't see them. For me it's like a steam machine pumping the same pattern over and over again...simply not my cup of juice. The vocoder(?) though is quite neat. :)
Yes it's only 2 chords and it's a 'layer'-track (meaning layer.. add another layer.. add another layer etc...) The variation is only the part in the middle.. it's more a collection of great sounds then an actual song... the chords are only an excuse for the sounds... the surprises are the sounds and hints to jmj...No vocoder used btw :)
Velodynamic wrote:Electron - A track that launches off with a KW kind of mood, but then it's transforming with the string sound and I only wish you could have hung in there a bit longer. Very suddenly it dies out and is shifting back where you begun for a quick "cut off". Too short. Otherwise I really like it...maybe an "uncut edition"? ;D
Yes, my fault really... last track..being sick and tired of it all I forced an end... I promise to use the 'Fire strings' at the end on the next album differently... great sound... could compete with the 310 + smallstone :)
Velodynamic wrote:FOAF - I love this one. The samplings a very witty and I can allmost see a music video in front of me.
It feels much like a "MTV" version and I don't know exactly how suitable ALL the samples (ie. "faded music, computer-girl #5 delete") really are on a studio album, but I like the guts and as an experimentation. Too short. :)
One thinks to short the other just right.... I really hope it will make it into a single. A video clip with this one is really possible. The faded part is ment to resemble a view of the guy behind the PC and the music comes from his PC speakers.... Allso we throw away pictures quite eassily but there is always a story behind one :D
Velodynamic wrote:LR - Not very surprisingly my favorite. The laser sounds are adorable. The transforming at the end where the deep bass comes in are truly fantastic. Only a little complain about the "raggie/blues style bass", the rest is 10/10! Too short. :D P.S. The later deep bass part here reminds me of Jarre, CiC. ;)
All 'laser sounds' come from the EMS Synthi :D and yes the deep bass at the end is the MOOG Taurus so logically you recognise it from CiC. The end was also ment to show I can do typical oxy/equish eminent tracks but I did not want that to do that for the whole album. In the beginning I wanted to do Equinoxe 9-xx... but decided NOT to do that because would it be better?? I preferred to do some hints :D and it seemed a great ending of the album.

Thanks for your review!!!

J.
Post Posted Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 pm
Big time

Antigoon wrote: The picture is from a book filled with B&W pictures taken in the 20th century.

So no problems with copyright in using this picture??
Post Posted Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:29 am
moviemaker

Hello LeoDaV

Amazing job!

I'm not a musician so I can't analyze Kraftwerk from Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.

I'm a filmmaker so my litmus test is if the music makes me dream and man, your stuff is dreamy.

I applaud you for the efforts. From a design & visual aesthetic standpoint, I love the CD artwork, especially the photo on the back.

I wish you much success and look forward to picking this up from Amazon.

:~D
Post Posted Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:18 pm
marcostudio

Well folks,

LeoDav and i have finished the final mixing of 4 tracks today;-)
It was a hell of a job with some tracks,but now it sounds as it should be!
thank to my new studio monitors ;-)
Next week we are going to mix the rest of the tracks and then i will do the final mastering in the studio where i work.(www.digitalmastering.nl)

So when that is finished,Etienne(Antogoon)will do the atwork and then its time to shop around with the album to the record companies.

So be patient............finally it will come to you!
Post Posted Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 pm
Velodynamic

That sounds unbelievable great! :D
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:03 am
Big time

Great!!! :D
Post Posted Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:38 am
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

YäY !
I wish you good luck for the final mastering session and I hope you will find a record company !
I really want to buy this album, I love the snippets I listened to !
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016
Post Posted Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:39 am
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

I will most likely buy it too... so good luck Marco with the mastering. I know you can do it! :D
Post Posted Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:46 pm
marcostudio

Hi!

Almost done with the mixing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgSYYzVdA38

Marcoporation & LeoDaV

2020 Zoolook.nl