Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

A new server, a new environment. Updated and all.

As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Equinoxe 2 help + MP3 previews from Equinoxe 1969 project

Post Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Billy Bunt

Hi, The Quixotes are currently working on a very retro cover version of Equinoxe... Apart from final mixing and tweaking and a couple of bits of re-recording, it's all done ... except Part 2!

We've had a crack at ear-notation but it's a fiddly wee track. To notate by ear you really need to know the tempo and time signature - which is quite difficult when there is no beat! Does anyone have the elusive sheet music they can forward us? That would be good basis to work from.

I saw Radek had posted a file back in 2007 on the forum it's been 404'd.

We're not entirely sure how we are going to arrange Part 2 yet but have some ideas... In the meantime here are links to our cover of Jarre's Blackbird
http://www.thequixotes.com/media/tracks ... ckbird.mp3

and now an exclusive preview of Equinoxe 1969!
http://www.thequixotes.com/media/tracks ... 201961.mp3
http://www.thequixotes.com/media/tracks ... 201963.mp3

Happy Bidet, JMJ!

regards
Billy Bunt
Post Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:42 pm
VinceBlood

Wow, yes, an original cover !

Really good interpretation of Equinoxe althought some guitars sound like a bit fake.

Congrats.
Post Posted Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 pm
Billy Bunt

Thanks.

It's mostly all live playing and recording into Reason and Record. We'll post a "gear list" when it's all finished. Sampled guitars are always difficult but we'll no doubt make make some changes and hopefully improvements before the end.

We're very pleased with how Side B is sounding...

Part 2 is the problem though. We've no idea quite what time signature this awesome piece of music is in, so we think Jarre was playing around with it: sometimes it feels 7/4, other times 3/4 or 4/4; it's very unclear, plus there is a lot of off-beat stuff going on to the point where it seems like its almost free time. It makes playing it very difficult not knowing!

Billy
Post Posted Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:16 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

Part 2 is definitely in free time. Trying to fit that in a time signature would make it too structured. JMJ clearly uses the wave of the phaser as an indicator as to when to play the next chord.

Covering it in the same style you just did... would inevitably involve a mellotron ;)

Great job! I'm really interested in Side B :D
Have a look at my organ music videos (No Jarre yet): www.youtube.com/user/gjmusique
Benedicat vos omni potens Deus. Pater et Filius et Spiritus Sanctus. Amen. BONNE NUIT. :oldman:
Post Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

Likes received  : 1

These prog-sympho-rock versions are really really really nice!

Very well done!
:q!
Post Posted Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:10 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 2

Have to say these are excellent.
Post Posted Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:03 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 18
Likes received  : 29

I'm really loving these Equinoxe recordings. I hope to hear more soon.
Post Posted Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:43 pm
Herr Dunkel

I'm kind of late but... Kudos for these really cool Vintage versions!

E3 has a little Ennio Morricone feel to it in the guitar chorus and even reminds me of early Genesis with the acoustic intro.

Thanks! Great job! Can't wait to hear the full album. Party like it's 1969! ;-)

HD
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:48 pm
Velodynamic

I'm late here but I think these covers are wonderful. Very original and interesting.
What I love about it is the live feeling and pure joy of the music in its more elementary forms. 8)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:19 am
chrisbern

Phantastic idea! It's sound very well. Original but realy nice to hear. One critic point - In Equinoxe 1 organ and bass should play more free and not so rhythmical. This free notes out of time (laidback) makes Equinoxe 1 so majestetic and wonderfull. To Equinoxe 2 I agree with GeeJee: play it free and hear exacly to phase of smallstone (if You will use it). Good job! :)
My JMJ covers and replicas on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/chrisbern75
Post Posted Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:51 pm
Beelooo

I'm late too....

It's a very original cover very nice to ear ! :bravo:

Well done guys !
Concerts attends :
EIC Versailles, September 1993
Oxygen Tour Paris, October 1997
Electronic Night Paris, July 1998
Marigny, December 2007
POPB, March 2010
Electronica TOUR POPB (Accor Hotel Arena), December 2016
Post Posted Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 pm
Billy Bunt

Cheers guys! Thanks for the feedback.

The project got put on a bit of a backburner. We still couldn't quite get a handle on 1962, and we're not happy with '68 either.

But last nights show at the O2 has given us some needed invigoration ;)

Billy
Post Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 18
Likes received  : 29

I'm playing 1961 and 1963 quite a lot on my mp3 player. Did you get my PM?
Post Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:08 am
Jarp2600

Sounds nice, really interesting! I'd like to buy the album when it's released or sth! :)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios
Post Posted Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am
Billy Bunt

Dr_Jones wrote:I'm playing 1961 and 1963 quite a lot on my mp3 player. Did you get my PM?
Ya, I'd not heard that before... very strange!

• 2020 Zoolook.nl