Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

"What Is The Synth Used In" Thread

Post Posted Mon May 26, 2014 5:20 pm
Beelooo

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 4

radek tymecki wrote:no. no 2600.

very soon i'll post oxy 7 and 10 research with sounds that are only from raven
my mistake ;

what JMJ exactlly says between 3:00 and 4:00 of the link i've post here is that he systematically doubled Nordlead sequences / sounds with ARP2600 low freq and subs
Post Posted Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 pm
jp8000

What is the synth used in equinoxe 7 producing rising sound in the middle of the album version?

(2:23 is the first appearance of that sound)

would that be oberheim two voice?
Master of copying other composers work.. subconsciously

My soundclick

Facebook

My youtube channel
Post Posted Sat May 31, 2014 4:14 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

jp8000 wrote:What is the synth used in equinoxe 7 producing rising sound in the middle of the album version?

Rising sound?

You mean a glissando

Jarre's favourite thing to do on a keyboard. :P

You can use any keyboard instrument to do that. From pianos, organs to synthesizers.

It's usually done on a harp, due to the wonderful harmonic resonance it produces.

On Oxygene 1 its a pulse waveform, with keyboard tracking. Equinoxe 7 could be the same.

ARP2600 was used for Oxygene 1.
It's a kind of magical sound, which is why Jarre uses it, but really any synth will do.

In order for the lower notes to be darker, as they are on both Oxygene 1 and Equinoxe 7,
the instrument must either have inbuilt keyboard tracking (such the Eminent 310 and ARP2600) or it can be adjusted/over-ridden as the ARP2600 also provides.

The Oberheim synths did have keyboard tracking, but I'm not sure the 2 voice did. It's the later ones, the OBX series.

Jarre preferred to use keyboard tracking, because that gives a more natural timbre to synthetically created "instruments/sounds". Which mimics the way acoustic instruments act in nature.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 pm
thhedk

jp8000 wrote:What is the synth used in equinoxe 7 producing rising sound in the middle of the album version?

Well, since it is almost impossible to play these sequences live, it is most likely played using the Matrisequencer and this was almost only used with the Arp 2600, that would be my guess. :)

The last one starting slow and speeding up, is the only one played straight up without ane notes going back or jumping, this one he could have played directly on the keyboard, if the sound was transposed to C ;)
Post Posted Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:23 am
Analog-Umph

thhedk wrote:Well, since it is almost impossible to play these sequences live
Huh? It's not a sequence, it's a glissando. The specific 2:23 one which he was referring to, there is no easier thing in the world.

There's two types of glissandos in that track, the former is as easy as pie, the other one requires the Matrisequencer, because it goes up and down a note, as it rises steadily.
That one occurs first time at 3:33.
Post Posted Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 pm
thhedk

Analog-Umph wrote:
thhedk wrote:Well, since it is almost impossible to play these sequences live
Huh? It's not a sequence, it's a glissando. The specific 2:23 one which he was referring to, there is no easier thing in the world.

There's two types of glissandos in that track, the former is as easy as pie, the other one requires the Matrisequencer, because it goes up and down a note, as it rises steadily.
That one occurs first time at 3:33.

Believe me, I have replicated them all in my cover version, they are not just glissandos, they step back a note or two several times, exept the last one.
Post Posted Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:23 am
Millenium

Hi guys, does anybody know what Synth was used at the lead sound of Magnetic Fields 2? I think it is a Fairlight, but I am not sure.
Post Posted Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:43 am
Analog-Umph

thhedk wrote:Believe me, I have replicated them all in my cover version, they are not just glissandos, they step back a note or two several times, exept the last one.
Missed this post from last year. Yeah that's exactly what I said. There are two types. :)

I call them still glissandos, one hand played, one sequencer played. It's not technically a sequence in the meaning that Jarre's music usually uses it. Though in the strictest sense it may be called a sequence, just as anything hand played or machine played is, when repeated, for example Eq 1 Em Seq. Or the Oxy5 Right Channel Str Seq or many of the passing sequenced effects in Oxy 7-13.
Post Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:55 am
funkygreenalien

Millenium wrote:Hi guys, does anybody know what Synth was used at the lead sound of Magnetic Fields 2? I think it is a Fairlight, but I am not sure.
Ok, als een dank woordje al te veel is boerke . Ga ergens anders gaan janken! Leeghanger.
Post Posted Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:34 pm
Millenium

What?
Post Posted Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:51 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Millenium wrote:What?
Pay no attention to him, he's a troll who for some reason still hasn't been banned.
Post Posted Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 am
Millenium

Alright... the translation is quite funny tho. He called me a shoe.

Anyways, as I said, I think it is the CMI Fairlight, because Jarre used it as a prop in the MF Pt. 2 Music Video (Click - Video starts right at the leads.).

However, for me it sounds a little bit organ-ish too. Maybe a sampled organ?
Post Posted Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:10 pm
flux

Oberheim OB-X. The same lead is also used in MFS part 1 and Oriënt express.
Post Posted Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:50 am
Millenium

Thank you very much, Sir!
Post Posted Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:24 pm
mikael488

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post here. I was wondering if anyone here happen to have a reasonably comprehensive listing (preferably one that's reliable :)) of what synths/keyboards were used for the various parts on Oxygene and Equinoxe, i.e. a synth-breakdown for each of the tracks.

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Micke

• 2020 Zoolook.nl