Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

A new server, a new environment. Updated and all.

As with every migration, some things might have been lost in translation (at least, that's my experience in software development). The main problem is logging in into the boards. These could be caused by several reasons:

- Your browser cache & cookies need to be cleared because we moved to a new server. If you get the error message whilst logging: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.", you need to clear your cache & cookies. You can find a "Delete cookies" option at the bottom of this page.

- There is also a chance that your password is not correctly converted to the new system. This is a known bug with migrating the system. The only solution is to request a new password, there's a link on the form that will send an email to you to create a new password. If that fails, I can set a password for you, you can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oxygene 4 RMI lead

Post Posted Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:39 pm
matt222

Likes received  : 1

Experiment to mimic the RMI Harmonic Synthesizer lead - made here on a Nordlead
https://soundcloud.com/mattc-958632216/ ... experiment
Post Posted Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am
Herr Dunkel

Cool demo, thanks!

During his 1997 Oxygène Tour Jarre used a Norldlead (or more likely the new Nordlead 2 he had recently got at the time) to play Oxygène IV sounds. At the very least he demoed 4 sounds with it before playing the track: wind effect, main melody, and the 2 RMI chorus sounds you demoed.
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:51 am
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 1

Okay let's see if we can refine this even further.

Drop many of the first partials in gain, and get the top most ones loud. That's part of what makes that sound so "HUH?" and difficult to emulate for most people - a true legacy of the unnaturalness of what an additive synthesizer is capable of, in contrast to what subtractive synths aim for via the filter.
And that is also what makes it sound "pro" instead of amateurish. It's the simple RIGHT manipulation of partials in a sound.

Also, see if you can experiment with the sound itself, giving it two layers. One more percussive and bell-like (same timbre), another as it is currently, more lead-like.

:lol: @ the end.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 am
Analog-Umph

Herr Dunkel wrote:Cool demo, thanks!

During his 1997 Oxygène Tour Jarre used a Norldlead (or more likely the new Nordlead 2 he had recently got at the time) to play Oxygène IV sounds. At the very least he demoed 4 sounds with it before playing the track: wind effect, main melody, and the 2 RMI chorus sounds you demoed.
2 RMI sounds?

The lead and?
Post Posted Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:23 pm
Jote

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 6

I like how he demoes those sounds (which sound hardly like the originals, esp the RMI) and then actually proceeds with 1976 versions using playback :>
Post Posted Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:28 am
Herr Dunkel

Analog-Umph wrote:

2 RMI sounds?

The lead and?

They are both the lead - 1 sound has a lower pitch than the other one, but it seems the difference is more than just the pitch. What do I know? At any rate Jarre announces 4 sounds "first, second, third, fourth" when he talks to the audience.
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Analog-Umph

Herr Dunkel wrote:
Analog-Umph wrote:

2 RMI sounds?

The lead and?

They are both the lead - 1 sound has a lower pitch than the other one, but it seems the difference is more than just the pitch. What do I know? At any rate Jarre announces 4 sounds "first, second, third, fourth" when he talks to the audience.
Good point. I never thought of it as 2 sounds, but now that you mention it, the higher octave does sound disconnected from the lower octave. Perhaps differently processed or different partial setting on the additive synth.
Post Posted Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:45 pm
matt222

The sound on the Tour demo was a new - yet to be released - Nordlead 2

I made my sound on this very keyboard - getting the first one into the UK!

It is quite a thin sound in isolation and only becomes 'The Oxygene Sound when put through the Electric Mistress pedal
Post Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:02 pm
Analog-Umph

matt222 wrote:The sound on the Tour demo was a new - yet to be released - Nordlead 2

I made my sound on this very keyboard - getting the first one into the UK!

It is quite a thin sound in isolation and only becomes 'The Oxygene Sound when put through the Electric Mistress pedal
Have you got a dry example of it. And then a wet example.

I still feel it needs more fine tuning. No one seems to quite nail it. And that's what we are all about here, aren't we! :lol:
Post Posted Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm
matt222

Absolutely!

Yes, the dry sound can be heard through the demo at the begining of this thread. You can hear me messing with settings on the Electric Mistress
Post Posted Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:19 pm
Analog-Umph

matt222 wrote:Absolutely!

Yes, the dry sound can be heard through the demo at the begining of this thread. You can hear me messing with settings on the Electric Mistress
In that case then my first post in this thread still stands. Comparing Jarre's and yours the differences are stark. You are using a subtractive synth, and that can never do additive timbres, especially in the very high frequencies, which is key to this sound.
Post Posted Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:00 am
matt222

Analog-Umph wrote:

In that case then my first post in this thread still stands. Comparing Jarre's and yours the differences are stark. You are using a subtractive synth, and that can never do additive timbres, especially in the very high frequencies, which is key to this sound.
Ahh I see. It's the closest I managed to get it on my Nordlead

You have a good understanding of the synthesis involved - I don't.

Have you made an example so I can hear what you mean?
Post Posted Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:00 am
Analog-Umph

matt222 wrote:
Analog-Umph wrote:

Ahh I see. It's the closest I managed to get it on my Nordlead

You have a good understanding of the synthesis involved - I don't.

Have you made an example so I can hear what you mean?
I haven't actually, I've been working on nailing other sounds. (which I have, after many years of on and off work - I'm slow like that. :smoke: )

But this one not yet.

Yeah, the reason why everyone fails with this particular sound is because of its unorthodox approach and treatment in the mix, it's literally also the only time Jarre himself has used a sound like that in any of his work. He never did it afterwards.

Now, what makes that sound so great is that it was recorded not only through a flanger pedal, to give it movement, but upon tape. And that made a really grating, unnatural and inorganic timbre sound even more pleasing to our human ears.

It's why old movies work, when handling sci fi subject matter, because of that same analog approach (besides better writing and more relevant human themes). This same thing applies to music, the inferior technology actually made for a more pleasing human listening experience when the sound was produced on really unnatural sounding instrument - and there is no more unnatural sounding sound generator than an additive synth, which are perfect at creating unnatural timbres, esp. in those early days, before all of the latest synthesis types were born.

When you understand all this, and when you look at things through an visual EQ spectrum, you approach the sound from a different perspective, and then nailing it becomes a possibility.

2020 Zoolook.nl