Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Ethnicolor/Chrono II/Stardust live 2018-09-06

Post Posted Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:09 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

On Sept 6th 2018 I did a performance at a private event (audience approx 500 people). I performed Ethnicolor 1 part 4 (2017 Liebana/Masada version), Chronologie II (which I did back in 2014) and Stardust (completed in approx 4 days, that was a crazy sprint!). It was my first performance of this "magnitude" and obviously it was not without problems (I had several audio dropouts, thanks Windows 10 ver 1803...) but overall it was a success. The audience was obviously very diverse and obviously not JMJ fans but they seemed to enjoy it, esp. the Stardust butterfly dancers.

Don't mind Ethnicolor, I had less than 48 hours to prepare it (and I almost scrapped it, but it was such a good opening, so I kept it - I knew that that audience wouldn't notice). I improved it in orders of magnitude (it's unrecognizable) for my Sept 2019 performance, which I'll upload when I'm done editing it.

Enjoy!

For reference:
- my full album version of Chronologie II:
- Stardust multitrack demo: (I did it as I had had people accusing me of "playing JMJ CDs", well, I guess that's the ultimate compliment?)

And fun fact about Stardust: I changed it just before the show when Stéphane messaged me "you might want to change the choir sound... here's the patch we used in the original Stardust" :)

Post Posted Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Looking forward to the new video! I tend to listen to your version of the 4th part of Ethnicolor (2010s style) over the original anyway ;)

(Would still love a proper release of the 2017 concert, but we know how those things tend to go with JMJ...)
Post Posted Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Jote

Finaero wrote:Looking forward to the new video! I tend to listen to your version of the 4th part of Ethnicolor (2010s style) over the original anyway ;)
Really? Wow. I mean there's always the Liebana recording (although it's shortened and doesn't have the dubstep part). Glad you like it though, you're gonna love the upgrade.
Post Posted Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 am
Finaero

Jote wrote:
Finaero wrote:Looking forward to the new video! I tend to listen to your version of the 4th part of Ethnicolor (2010s style) over the original anyway ;)
Really? Wow. I mean there's always the Liebana recording (although it's shortened and doesn't have the dubstep part). Glad you like it though, you're gonna love the upgrade.
Oh yeah, while the Liebana recording is very good, I didn't really like the cuts made to Ethnicolor 1 (though they are understandable given the concert circumstances) regarding parts 3 and 4.
Post Posted Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:08 pm
Jote

Finaero wrote:Oh yeah, while the Liebana recording is very good
It is... and it isn't. For instance, said Ethnicolor was mixed in a strange way, so that the bassline cannot be heard (and that's why my cover from 2018 doesn't have any) I learned later on that there indeed should be one (and so my 2019 version does have it).
Post Posted Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:48 pm
Finaero

Jote wrote:
Finaero wrote:Oh yeah, while the Liebana recording is very good
It is... and it isn't. For instance, said Ethnicolor was mixed in a strange way, so that the bassline cannot be heard (and that's why my cover from 2018 doesn't have any) I learned later on that there indeed should be one (and so my 2019 version does have it).
>.<

Damn, there's always something! I'll re-rate the Liebana recording as "pretty good" from now on. ;)

Also, pretty cool for Stephane to tip you off regarding the choir used in Stardust! Maybe one day someone will reveal and perhaps even share the missing D-50 presets used in Revolutions http://www.thhe.dk/Roland_D-50.htm <_<
Post Posted Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:43 pm
Jote

Finaero wrote:Also, pretty cool for Stephane to tip you off regarding the choir used in Stardust!
Yeah, it was a bit unexpected! I also got some stage tips from him.

Two fun facts that I remembered:

1. One of the sound guys apparently worked at JMJ Electronica Tour concert in my hometown (where I met with Stephane and JMJ)
2. During Ethnicolor you can see me playing the bass with the left hand (I decided to improvise it), but... it was NOT MIXED PROPERLY. So you can't hear it on the recording. Replica level: META
Post Posted Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 pm
matt222

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 4

Excellent as ever Jote
Post Posted Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:19 am
Jote

Since this topic got butchered during the forum crash, I'm reposting the original first post:

In Sept 2018 I did a performance at a private event (audience approx 500 people). I performed Ethnicolor 1 part 4 (2017 Liebana/Masada version), Chronologie II (which I did back in 2014) and Stardust (completed in approx 5 days, that was a crazy sprint!). It was my first performance of this "magnitude" and obviously it was not without problems (I had several audio dropouts, thanks Windows 10 ver 1803...) but overall it was a success. The audience was obviously very diverse and obviously not JMJ fans but they seemed to enjoy it.

Don't mind Ethnicolor, I had less than 48 hours to prepare it (and I almost scrapped it, but it was such a good opening) I improved it in orders of magnitude for my Sept 2019 performance, which I'll upload when I'm done editing it.

Fun facts: 1. I changed Stardust just before the show when Stéphane messaged me "you might want to change the choir sound... here's the patch we used in the original Stardust" :)
2. One of the sound guys apparently worked at JMJ Electronica Tour concert in my hometown (where I met with Stéphane Gervais and JMJ)

Enjoy!

For reference:
- my studio version of Chronologie II:
- Stardust multitrack demo: (I've had people accusing me of "playing JMJ CDs", well, I guess that's the ultimate compliment?)
Post Posted Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:18 pm
Finaero

Excellent - balance has been restored ;)
Post Posted Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

Thanks for re-posting the link, I was looking for this on YouTube to show a friend of mine.
Brilliant.
Post Posted Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:10 pm
Jote

Adam wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm Thanks for re-posting the link, I was looking for this on YouTube to show a friend of mine.
Brilliant.
Thanks. Why if I may ask? Was it because of the light show or Ethnicolor?
Post Posted Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:19 pm
Adam

It is a friend of mine who is a huge JMJ fan and not on Facebook or the forum & he really likes fan covers & I was impressed by the whole show, music and visuals & wanted to show him this.
Post Posted Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:23 pm
Jote

Adam wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:19 pm It is a friend of mine who is a huge JMJ fan and not on Facebook or the forum & he really likes fan covers & I was impressed by the whole show, music and visuals & wanted to show him this.
Glad you like it so much. As I mentioned I did another show exactly a year after that and Ethnicolor sounds infinitely better than this "let's try to do it in 48 hours" attempt. I haven't uploaded the video yet as I first need to record some video proving that it is my work and not a JMJ CD playback, and I haven't gotten to it yet (0 experience in this regard).
Post Posted Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:31 pm
Adam

I look forward to seeing that.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl