Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Rendezvous 4 special remix

Post Posted Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

PSB appear to have real control and vision over the way they present themselves and their work. Look at their website, for example. Immaculate. Meanwhile, JMJ's website has always been a mess. Europe in Concert illustrated by a poster? Swatch the World by a watch (not even the right watch?!). It is generally a bit of a chaotic mish mash. Same for JMJ physical and digital releases.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:04 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Finaero wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pmThat explains a lot when it comes to the lack of proper JMJ (re-)releases.

Luckily PSB, Depeche Mode and even Vangelis (I mean, the 2013 Spiral remaster is what it is, but at least it's got To The Unknown Man pt. 2 as an extra track) are doing it (more) properly. Especially PSB.
Jarre seems to be the exact opposite of any other artist. Special Editions? Nah. Completely new mixes (Oxygene not withstanding)? Puh-lease! Anything of value besides the absolute shittier new remasters? You crazy or something?
Looking back at it, Essentials & Rarities really was exactly that. A rarity. Because Jarre sure as hell isn't going to bother with more of these releases. Which is a shame, there's so much stuff that's hard to get, or even completely unreleased, yet no (easy) official means to get those tracks.

The Twelve Dreams of the Sun? Well, gotta download that. The Sun? Gotta download that! Alive in Bourges? Gotta download that! And a bit of cheating, but I'll include it anyway: Rendez-Vous in Space? Gotta download that! And there's a ton of different releases/tracks that they could fill multiple discs with, yet here we are with absolutely non of them.

Edit: Thinking about it, I was checking my drive and came across a CD rip of Jarre Popcorn rendition, which was also released once on CD officially and iirc, it was not a vinyl rip. Seems I've lost the two extended Zoolook(ologie) mixes throughout the years. But I do still have Popcorn, which I just made a backup of before I lose that one as well...

Edit 2: And man, I'd love it if they'd finally release Helza and Cartolina officially. I love those two tracks!

Edit 3: And let's not forget Planet Jarre, which was a extreme case considering 'Music For Supermarkets' was included. Sure it was the least interesting version of the entire album (give us the intro already! :( ), but considering it's a studio quality version of that album without any changes as with Zoolook/Rendez-Vous... Just wow all things considered.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:29 pm
Chrono93

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

It's one of the things I find crazy. Jean-Michel talks about how people should pay for music etc yet he won't reissue/release things that fans would pay for and leave us going down the other road.
Anyway I have those mixes which I admit to downloading from here a while ago. Is there any ways to pass them on directly to those who wanted them via the PM here? I understand if its not allowed here though.
PS Thanks for the original files.
Post Posted Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I think JMJ's philosophy is that when an album is finished, it is finished. Adding tracks in a later release would void the "integrity" of the album. You wouldn't paint an extra tree in the background of the Mona Lisa years later, to put it in painter's terms. And as Finaero already mentioned: the 2013 Vangelis remasters are guilty of this offense by pulling a George Lucas, so that's the other end of the spectrum.

Popcorn was released on a compilation CD by the original company who published the track in Belgium back in 1972. So no vinyl rip too.
Chrono93 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:29 pm Anyway I have those mixes which I admit to downloading from here a while ago. Is there any ways to pass them on directly to those who wanted them via the PM here? I understand if its not allowed here though.
Posting mp3s on the boards is not allowed (I did that in this very thread, check page 1 - I removed the files later because it was temporary), but sharing music via email or other means is hard to check. In other words: do what you want, but please not on these boards preferably.
Post Posted Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:18 am
shadow

Dr_Jones wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 pm I think JMJ's philosophy is that when an album is finished, it is finished. Adding tracks in a later release would void the "integrity" of the album. You wouldn't paint an extra tree in the background of the Mona Lisa years later, to put it in painter's terms. And as Finaero already mentioned: the 2013 Vangelis remasters are guilty of this offense by pulling a George Lucas, so that's the other end of the spectrum.
I do agree that I think that's his train of thought, especially considering his explanation for Music For Supermarkets. But I don't understand this line of thought however, an album is not a painting. It's such a strange thought, because they're completely different forms of art and not comparable in any way. It's like saying an apple is the same as exercising. Yes, both are healthy for you, but they're completely different altogether.
The upside of this digital age is that you can harness it and add to your work. You don't change the album by including alternate mixes, you add to the experience. You're not adding a tree to the Mona Lisa, you're making a new identical copy of said painting and adding something new besides that work. So you add a very small extra painting on the back which you can enjoy if you're so inclined to turn the painting over.
However, how is making your work as loud as can be, giving it a smiley curve EQ and reworking the cover art not considered changing the art? Because for some reason, this isn't where the line is drawn on his art. Might as well have kept the original 70's/80's masters in print without ever remastering altogether. That's the most honest way to represent the album, short of giving a 1-1 copy of the magnetic tape.
Also, let's not forget that Rendez-Vous remaster that used a aging tape that had suffered intensely in the first track of speed differences. What do we call that? A bastardization?

As for the Vangelis remasters, I own all of them in the Delectus set, it's a pretty decent bunch of remasters. I strongly disagree with the added reverb on a couple of them. But the overall quality was amazing, great sound quality, a couple of really nice extras and the new tracks were great to finally have in a digital format instead of the vinyl only versions available before the set. The tape transfers had no issues at all, the applied EQ was extremely subtle for the most part, problematic older releases were ironed out (China in specific) and the Dynamic Range was as brilliant as it always was with Vangelis.
The real problem that they suffered from (deliberately anyway) was, like mentioned, the new reverb which sounded terrible on the few that had them. QA also was somewhat hit or miss with some audio drops on Antarctica and Mask. But considering how many albums they were, there were few legit faults at play, but it would've been nice to have the perfect original releases in a digital format, but alas.
Dr_Jones wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 pmPopcorn was released on a compilation CD by the original company who published the track in Belgium back in 1972. So no vinyl rip too.
So I remember that correctly, still curious why that version of all versions made its way onto such a compilation. It's really that great a version.
Post Posted Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:38 am
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

The least he could do is to churn out a bunch of digital-only releases of unreleased material. Least effort, almost zero cost. Alas... he doesn't care about catering to his more involved fans.
Post Posted Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

In other words: When The KLF has started releasing their old tracks (old and previously unreleased) more properly than JMJ, you know there's not much hope
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:51 pm
SF01

Likes received  : 2

There is also Equinoxe 4 single edit and extended edit on 7" and 12" respectively, the former having "Equinoxe Part 3 (Valse)", the later Equinoxe 5, but I don't know if original first version, or the more common remixed version. Any idea, if those were released on any CD?
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:07 pm
Dr_Jones

Those edits have never been released on CD officially. I say officially, because the Rarities 3 bootleg CD has the Equinoxe 4 extended mix.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:45 pm
shadow

That's a vinyl rip to my knowledge, so still doesn't really count as a CD release. Or better worded, a digital release. Though I compared the vinyl release of those Zoolook/Zoolookologie/Rendez-Vous extended remixes recently, I strongly prefer the vinyl versions that are on the Rarities 3 disc. They sound way better.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:58 pm
SF01

I got the E5 "special remix", which apparently is the "new" version that replaced the original on all pressings, and E4 single with single version, extended version and a version of E5 I have yet to confirm which it is as vinyl tips. So you say Rarities 3 is a good source of the B-sides? Better than the 2 compilations mentioned for Zoolook and Zoolookologie?

All those remasters and there is no 2CD deluxe edition to put the B-sides on second CD just for the sake of them being in one accessible place...
But that's the price of being in Sony Columbia, instead of Universal...
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm
Dr_Jones

Rarities 3 doesn't have the b-sides, only the extended mixes.

Polydor could have made an excellent release with Musik Aus Zeit Und Raum (1983), the LP has all the "single mixes" but the CD does not.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:23 pm
SF01

Well, there is Zoolook [Effects 1984] at least.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:25 pm
shadow

Wait, those are different mixes than the CD? I should get that LP someday.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm
SF01

As in the vinyl single, or vinyl album?

• 2020 Zoolook.nl