Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Old Concerts Carefully Restored to Best Possible Quality

Post Posted Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:34 pm
AERO62

Likes given: 6
Likes received  : 22

I finally got around to reworking some of the videos that I had removed from an old channel. The motivation behind this is simple. At the moment, youtube is ridden with outrageously overfiltered, badly upscaled and absolutely ruined video recordings. I for the life of me cannot comprehend why somebody would give them such aggressive treatment. Many of the original bootlegs/broadcasts were highly amateur recordings to begin with, so if anybody takes up the task of working on the improvements, then at least do a decent job of it. That's why we need to settle this once and for all. :lol: I will try to post updates to this thread regularly.

The first one will be the TV broadcast of the Moscow gig. Watch in 1080p for best results. I applied AI enhancer with a fine tuning option to carefully get rid of all the noise and added the improved soundtrack.

Unfortunately, youtube still added a little bit of compression. I could not defeat it no matter how high I tried to set the bitrate to (the file I uploaded was about 50gb with a bitrate of 50 mbits). I've tried making comparisons between various bitrates to see how to cheat the compression, but even raw video format of 100 mbits did not resolve it. The results were always the same. So I'll copy the originals into the the database for preservation purposes and yt is going to be the next best thing for instant viewing.

More videos will be coming soon...
Last edited by AERO62 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Post Posted Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:36 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 52
Likes received  : 7

I had forgotten about the messy looking white drape, badly hung at the back of the stage. What was that and why?

I know Moscow always gets name-checked in the press for the 3.5m audience but I think the scenography, set design, staging etc was poor. Look at La Défense and the amazing pyramid! The floating stage at Docklands! The mini-city skyline of Europe in Concert and Hong Kong! The Moscow "boxy" stage - that was too high I think, obscuring large parts of the university building behind - had nothing like the same impact of his previous shows.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:47 pm
AERO62

I really don't know the answer to that question. But I do plan on restoring more older recordings. Some of them will end up looking even more impressive than this one. It's outstanding how much modern software can help with the restoration... Now If only I could recover all of the DVDs I used to have.
Post Posted Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:25 pm
AERO62

Next one is the entire concert restored from an audience recording and a few news reports at the end. Coming soon, EIC tour restorations :)

Post Posted Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:25 pm
AERO62

Next one is a recording from EIC Tour. Don't expect a lot from this one as the source was a rather low resolution damaged file. I could only do so much...

Post Posted Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:13 am
AERO62

I'm back with a new year's gift :D This might be my best one so far. I have used tracks from Hong Kong Cd (Which itself is a compilation of various EIC concerts), Versailles audience recording and some pieces from Barcelona to bring the concert back to life. Most songs are well synced and the image quality is a step ahead of the original. There were some minor cuts in this video (dancers during sequencer and band introduction during chronologie 8 )

Edit: Youtube is very strict with copyrights, so I guess they decided it's better to block the whole thing rather than let anybody watch it. It might have something to do with parts of Hong Kong disc being used as the soundtrack. In any case, I've put it up on GD, so hopefully it can stay there for some time. I'm going to try to reupload it to yt with original tv broadcast audiotrack as well.

Last edited by AERO62 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Posted Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:45 pm
AERO62

Here is the same concert with the original sound... In this version the soundtrack was not changed, it is exactly the same as it was broadcast and I didn't need to cut anything. Hopefully it would satisfy the copyrighters watch a little more. But who knows. This is the last time I'm trying to put it to youtube. If it still gets blocked, the the link above will be the only one.

Post Posted Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm
E-vert

Likes received  : 2

AERO62 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:45 pm Here is the same concert with the original sound... In this version the soundtrack was not changed, it is exactly the same as it was broadcast and I didn't need to cut anything. Hopefully it would satisfy the copyrighters watch a little more. But who knows. This is the last time I'm trying to put it to youtube. If it still gets blocked, the the link above will be the only one.

I have never seen this! Awesome, thank you!
Life is what you make of it...
Post Posted Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:46 pm
AERO62

E-vert wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:56 pm
I have never seen this! Awesome, thank you!
I still recommend the first link where I have mixed various soundtracks from officially released concerts. It fits the image much better, especially in headphones it gives a true feeling for the concert.
Post Posted Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:00 pm
AERO62

Still working on the docklands footage, a slow process but I'm getting there.
Post Posted Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:27 am
AERO62

It is finally done :D

Post Posted Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:59 pm
AERO62

Post Posted Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:06 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 73
Likes received  : 102

now that's a concert I would like to have as a physical release.
Post Posted Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:38 pm
Jote

Likes given: 32
Likes received  : 48

I've never seen this before. Had no idea the intro was "played" on the laser harp. It's one of his most fake laser harp performances ever :)))
Post Posted Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:17 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 14

I still wish they'd get around to releasing this one. I adore this concert, but they never actually ended up following the plans through :(
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam

2020 Zoolook.nl