Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Vangelis LATEST NEWS

Post Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:09 pm
melo

Likes received  : 1

Pre-order the "Vangelis and the Journey To Ithaka" DVD

Here's some good news for today: The Gonzo Media Group has announced that the feature length Vangelis documentary "Vangelis and the Journey To Ithaka" will finally be available on DVD. The movie, directed by Tony Palmer, which was mentioned in rumors from time to time and saw its release delayed for several years, is now available for pre-order from the company that sells most of Tony Palmer's documentaries.
Pre-orders are taken exclusively on:

http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/product_details/15580/HST166DVD-Journey_to_Ithaka.html

The release date is planned for September 23. A more general release will follow later in the year.
The two hour documentary includes interviews with Vangelis and many of his friends and colleagues, including Sean Connery, Hugh Hudson, Jessye Norman, Oliver Stone, Akiko Ebi, Julian Rachlin and many others. It also includes a lot of historical footage, most of which was never seen before. Vangelis can also be seen improvising new music.
Label: Gonzo
Catalog: HST166DVD
Type: NTSC
Region: 0 (free)
Duration: 1:59:40

Check back here for more news on this, when it comes in. Let's hope all will proceed as planned. This is one not to miss out on!

Font: http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
Post Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm
melo

Ithaka Vangelis documentary

Vangelis and the Journey to Ithaka DVD
We have received some questions about availability of the "Vangelis and the Journey To Ithaka" DVD. To clarify: Initially, this DVD will be exclusively available on Gonzo's site. During a period of at least several months it will not be sold by any other retailers, including internet mail order sites like Amazon.com as well as the local DVD store in your town. This situation extends beyond the pre-ordering period at the Gonzo site. The date of September 23 is when Gonzo starts shipping their copies.

www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/product_details/15580/HST166DVD-Journey_to_Ithaka.html

If all goes well, a wider release to other retailers will happen later this year, and will be announced on this site as well.

font: http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Post Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:14 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Just noticed that there's a new (red) vinyl release of the (first disc of the) OST. Pretty good, at least now I don't have to keep on hunting down those 1994 Brazilian vinyl versions that go for 5,000 EUR or so on eBay every 3 years or so. D:

(Of course, it'd still be nice to at least get a full high quality version of the full End Titles track. The latest (and final, as far I've understood) version of the Esper Edition is almost perfect but eh, still no cigar!)
Post Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 pm
melo

Details on "Sound of Cinema"
We can share some more details about the new BBC documentary series "Sound Of Cinema: The Music That Made The Movies", starting this Thursday on BBC4.
BBC
As announced earlier, Vangelis was interviewed for this program and he reportedly also performed some music for the cameras. Sources close the BBC disclose that Vangelis will mainly feature in the third (and last) episode. However, be sure not to miss either of the first two episodes as well, as he will be appearing in all three.
The footage was shot October last year, when Vangelis was at work in a recording studio in London.
Schedule:
Episode 1 BBC4 Thursday September 12 2013, 9pm to 10pm (confirmed)
Episode 2 BBC4 Thursday September 19 2013, 9pm to 10pm (confirmed)
Episode 3 BBC4 Thursday September 26 2013, 9pm to 10pm (presumed!)

A trailer for the series, including an excerpt from Chariots of Fire can be seen here:
youtu.be/nJzIva_Pwm0
The BBC has started to post clips on their site, including material that didn't make it to the show. No sign of Vangelis yet, but it can happen.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03b51db/clips

Font: Elsew.com
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Post Posted Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:52 am
melo

Six remastered Vangelis albums released

source: http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm
Ricardo Melo
Jarrefan-Brazil
www.jarrefan.com.br

Attented concert:
Post Posted Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:15 am
Elf

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

What a huge disappointment these "remasters" are. Adding a ton of reverb does not a remaster make!

In addition, Vangelis has pulled a George Lucas on us, and has tampered with the compositions themselves.

Avoid! At all costs!
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:18 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Elf wrote:What a huge disappointment these "remasters" are. Adding a ton of reverb does not a remaster make!

In addition, Vangelis has pulled a George Lucas on us, and has tampered with the compositions themselves.
He has? :shock: That is unfortunate. What has he changed for example?
Post Posted Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:42 am
Elf

Dr_Jones wrote:
Elf wrote:What a huge disappointment these "remasters" are. Adding a ton of reverb does not a remaster make!

He has? :shock: That is unfortunate. What has he changed for example?
There are bits of music missing from "Symphony to the Powers B" on Heaven and Hell
There are cuts on the title track Spiral (clearly audible where the cuts have been made)
Beaubourg sounds like you're listening to it on a cassette tape
On Direct the transition between Will of the Wind and Metallic Rain has been moved, and you can hear a click where the original used to be (sloppy!)

In addition all the reverb and other changes he's made to the sound totally changes the feel of the compositions. It sometimes feels like you're listening to a cover (albeit a much better cover than Ed Starink)

I'm sticking to my LPs of these albums!
-Elf-
Post Posted Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 am
Elf

The indication "Remastered by Vangelis"
Good, good..
There are also some scans of vinyl singles, posters or adverts relating to the album's original release.
Very very nice...
The most striking aspect of these new releases is that for the four RCA albums, Vangelis decided to go quite a bit further than the usual processing that is mostly understood as "remastering".
Yes, YES...!
For the four RCA albums, Vangelis applied extra reverb to the existing masters
what
At the same time, two tracks were edited into shorter versions.
what
One of several repeats was cut out, near the 2:22 mark, removing 11 seconds of music and introducing an audible cut.
what
The track separation between "Will of the Wind" and "Metalic Rain" has been moved to a slightly earlier point, with an audible thud present where the index was found on the original CD.
what

No.
-Elf-
Post Posted Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:11 am
Andy

Well, after reading the articles on Dennis' elsew.com website I'm thinking about to buy at least "Heaven and Hell" and "Spiral" as remasters...
Post Posted Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:14 am
Analog-Umph

^ Money would be better spent helping sick and homeless kids
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:14 pm
Andy

NASA video with original music by Vangelis :!:

(Vangelis' music starts at 18:17 and lasts until 20:30)

Very nice...

Source: www.elsew.com
Post Posted Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:07 pm
Finaero

http://www.elsew.com/data/latest.htm - News (June 21st for the earliest one, I think)
http://store.hollyjohnson.com/home/euro ... order.html

Wrapping up a collaborative track between Vangelis and Holly Johnson (from Frankie Goes To Hollywood) 20+ years after first working on it? Now that's... dedication, I guess.

Anyway, will be interested in hearing how it sounds like.
Post Posted Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:23 pm
Finaero

The album (and naturally, track) Europa is now available throughout the Internets.

Pour example, on Spotify:

Not that super-special and the lyrics are kinda... old, but still, pretty nice track IMO.
Post Posted Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:18 pm
Finaero

Celebrating ESA's comet-landing, here's Vangelis with three new tracks:

- Arrival
- Philae's Journey
- Rosetta's Waltz

Philae's Journey is my favorite 8)

• 2020 Zoolook.nl