Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Vangelis LATEST NEWS

Post Posted Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:27 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

USB will give worse results most likely due to the build in amplifier. My pickup would crush the sound a lot. Really wasn't anything even halfway decent. I just used the line in port.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm
shadow

The Delectus box was released today and nowhere available. I have it ordered online, but shipment can take another week disappointingly enough. Anyone happen to have seen it?
Post Posted Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:39 pm
shadow

So this 13 CD remastered extravaganza has arrived today! :nod:

Post Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 am
Elf

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

shadow wrote:So this 13 CD remastered extravaganza has arrived today! :nod:

Is it remastered in the usual Vangelis way? Make it sound like the original album is played inside a bathroom, then record that with an open air mike and release it and call it a remaster?
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:50 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Elf wrote:Is it remastered in the usual Vangelis way? Make it sound like the original album is played inside a bathroom, then record that with an open air mike and release it and call it a remaster?
Yeah, a shame about the 2013 (or so) remasters. Then again, I'm still sort of interested in getting the Spiral one (for cheap, though, and its price hasn't really changed in the past few years) due to the extra track (previously only on vinyl).

IIRC the Direct remaster changed some of the track starting points, and now the starting points as used in the previous CD versions have a clicking sound in them. How do you even manage to do that?
Post Posted Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:06 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Why have I missed the album Voices? :o
Heard it on Youtube and found the CD at the swedish Ginza for like 9 bucks!
Very high DR scores on that one.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:33 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

Velodynamic wrote:Why have I missed the album Voices? :o
Not very fond of that album. The first track is a cheap Conquest of Paradise cash-in, but then it gets better. I don't listen to it that much though.
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:58 pm
shadow

Elf wrote:Is it remastered in the usual Vangelis way? Make it sound like the original album is played inside a bathroom, then record that with an open air mike and release it and call it a remaster?
I wouldn't consider that the usual way. Direct was pretty much perfect and same goes for Page of Life which were from the same remastered release batch. And let's not forget the Chariots of Fire remaster from 2006 that was also pretty much perfect. But in regards to the boxset:

Perfect: Chariots of Fire, Mask, Invisible Connections, Opera Sauvage, The Friends of Mr. Cairo
Near perfect: Earth (three clicks in one track, these are technically present on the original master but seemed to have already been filtered out), China, Antartica (three audio drops in total), Soil Festivities (just under a minute of rain is edited out), Short Stories, Private Collection (some are perfect, some have some reverb)
Mixed: L'Apocalypse des Animaux, See You Later, (a lot of added reverb for both)

However, these are still artistic changes and if Vangelis enjoys them and thinks that the tracks sound better like this I respect that. The original CD's are still easily available. However they are also still the thirty year old CD masters unlike these that had a brand new transfer from the original magnetic tapes. The new reverb on some tracks are pretty consistent with the actual quality of the songs. However, unfortunately two albums didn't manage to escape it. See You Later sounds really 'meh'. Though Neighbours Above, My Love and Domestic Logic 1 are great to have! Also, the actual remaster in enough itself is actually pretty good.

Finaero wrote:IIRC the Direct remaster changed some of the track starting points, and now the starting points as used in the previous CD versions have a clicking sound in them. How do you even manage to do that?
Some moments were slightly changed, but no clicks anywhere where the previous original tracks starters were.
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:54 pm
Elf

Dr_Jones wrote:
Not very fond of that album. The first track is a cheap Conquest of Paradise cash-in, but then it gets better. I don't listen to it that much though.
Voices was the first album where it was clear that Vangelis had lost the plot. The trend that had started on The City, where he programs a rhythm which goes and goes and then he just solos on top of it, was very clear. I do like the City, though, but from then on his albums were much more static in their arrangements. His direct approach to composing left a lot to be desired, compared to the richness of the 70s and early 80s.

I do like Ask the Mountains, though.
-Elf-
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm
Elf

shadow wrote:
I wouldn't consider that the usual way. Direct was pretty much perfect and same goes for Page of Life which were from the same remastered release batch. And let's not forget the Chariots of Fire remaster from 2006 that was also pretty much perfect. But in regards to the boxset:
Maybe I was a bit unfair, but the Heaven & Hell vinyl remastering was so bad that I honestly thought something was wrong with my stereo. He ruined my favourite album of his. And the additions he did to Alpha on one of his compilation albums in the 90s.... *shudder*

Not sure I'll cash out for this box. Even if there are extra tracks.
-Elf-
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:31 pm
shadow

I'm personally not a fan of those 2013 RCA remasters myself. The actual sound quality is excellent, but the new stylistic changes with the reverb (and even multiple edits) were rather questionable. I do recommend the Delectus set, but just get it through iTunes for €10. It's surprisingly cheap.
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Elf

shadow wrote:I'm personally not a fan of those 2013 RCA remasters myself. The actual sound quality is excellent, but the new stylistic changes with the reverb (and even multiple edits) were rather questionable. I do recommend the Delectus set, but just get it through iTunes for €10. It's surprisingly cheap.
Or I can just check it out on Tidal. The whole box set is there, completely streamable
-Elf-
Post Posted Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:44 pm
shadow

Or that. I'm actually curious if some of the dropouts on the CD's are a mastering error or a pressing error. It wouldn't be the first time that something like that happened.
Post Posted Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Elf wrote:
Dr_Jones wrote:
Voices was the first album where it was clear that Vangelis had lost the plot. The trend that had started on The City, where he programs a rhythm which goes and goes and then he just solos on top of it, was very clear. I do like the City, though, but from then on his albums were much more static in their arrangements. His direct approach to composing left a lot to be desired, compared to the richness of the 70s and early 80s.

I do like Ask the Mountains, though.
That's kind of funny because I found CoP to be one of the most uneventful albums I've ever heard. :)
At least something is happening in Voices. It's an entertaining album at least the first ten listenings. It feels like a somewhat more experimental Vangelis. I find a lot of associations - Mike Oldfield in the first track with the bells and bag pipe sounds. He often spices with Blade Runner strophes here and there. Echoes I think has got some mystical X-Files approach to it. Come To Me has got some Enya vibes. P.S. Is an echo of the first track. ATM is like a slow fox Twin Peaks track. Prelude is a beautiful piano piece with soft choirs and strings which can't go wrong if you're Vangelis. Losing Sleep, Messages and DIAOP goes back to the old "boring" Vangelis again, like watching a flock of lost Elephants in slow motion.
It may so be that the old classic Vangelis died there. I can't really tell as I don't listen very often to his older albums and mostly to his "obvious hits".
I think Voices was probably meant for us nincanpoops who isn't patience enough for his more classic music style. :P
The mix looks like it should for a CD from before 1997 - very nice. My subwoofer is almost too happy about this.

"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm
Aneka65

By the way. What happened to the Forum. Vangelis ??. I can not log in, ceased to exist ??
Change.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl