Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Depeche Mode

Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:45 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Likes received  : 1

I'm becoming more and more interested in Depeche Mode... so far I 'only' have the Singles collection (both 81>85 and 86>98). Those SACD newly packaged re-issues were gazing very tempting at me at the stores... so my question is, which should I start with (I think I'm more fond of their later work... that early 80s stuff didn't really impress me) and which are already re-issued as SACD?
:mrgreen:
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:03 pm
AnDrOiD

Well, my favourite albums are Violator, Music For The Masses and Black Celebration. So I recommend you're getting them. :P :nod:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:17 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

I'm waiting for my order with a 180 gram new vinyl of Black Celebration.
All I have is Ultra, Exciter, Remixes 81...04 and Playing The Angel.
Their discography is really quite impressive so instead of jumping randomly into this rather big ocean
I think I'll continue with Andro's advice. Thanx Andy! :fine:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 pm
Jarp2600

I have only John the Relevator of them.
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"

My soundclick * Myspace

Audio Engineer at Fast Forward Studios
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:26 pm
AnDrOiD

Velodynamic wrote:I think I'll continue with Andro's advice. Thanx Andy! :fine:
You're welcome! :nod:

I jumped into it right from the start with Speak & Spell in 1981, and have been following them ever since. Got all their albums, and a shit-load of singles. :nod: Not been collecting that many singles in recent years, though. Same goes for all my favourite artists. :mrgreen:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:50 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

OK, so which have been re-issued just recently (repackaged SACD thingies) if you get what i mean?
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:54 pm
AnDrOiD

Take a look here.
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 pm
GeeJee
The GUV'NOR

Violator seems to be the first to must-have... :nod:
Weird though, I really thought I saw the Ultra and Exciter remasters in the stores? Hmmh. :robertdugenou:
Post Posted Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:49 pm
Antigoon

Ultra and Exiter are pretty good too, as is playing the angel. best works IMO are violator and "Songs of Faith and Devotion"

DM is however not a band I play a lot on my CD player, for me they're a "liveband". I've seen 4 of their concerts over the years and everytime they're F-ing brilliant, especialy when you watch them live in germany (they are BIG there)...

So if I have to sugest something I would sugest watching them on DVD, "One night in Paris" is a brilliant DVD to watch (both versions, the DM concert DVD AND the Paris Hilt... ehm, sorry...)

Seriously, those live versions R O C K, especialy "Enjoy the Silence" and "Never let me down" (wave hands everyone ;-)

Another good concert to watch is "rock am ring", only availlable as bootleg and the soundquality is "iffy" but brilliant registration of the concert and a nicer tracklisting...
Post Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:42 am
jarrekid

Hehe I only really like their early stuff, Speak & Spell and A Broken Frame.....
Post Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:52 am
LaDefense

"Ultra" and "Violator" are really superb! Real Masterpieces! :D Yes, and their live concerts are very dynamic and amazing! And I love the bootlegs where Martin Gore is playing piano and sings with a few fans in hotel lounges (tracks of Oasis, Sex Pistols, David Bowie, Beatles etc.) - very funny!!! :D
LaDefense -
"Vorsprung durch Technik"
Post Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

I like Depeche Mode. 8) My favourite tracks are Enjoy The Silence and Everything Counts. :rock:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:38 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Also I'm a bit tempted to buy Some Great Reward...only because of the cover photo. I like that. :mrgreen:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:57 am
Petr

GeeJee wrote:Thanks :D

Violator seems to be the first to must-have... :nod:
Weird though, I really thought I saw the Ultra and Exciter remasters in the stores? Hmmh. :robertdugenou:
GeeJee, welcome to DM fan group :-D

Yes, Violator, Songs of Faith and devotion and Music for the Masses are the cornerstones of their music.

Later you can try last album - Playing the Angel.

Some additional info about the official remaster DM site:

There isn´t mentioned all SA-CD DM discography. Separately was issued Playing the Angel as SA-CD + DVD release and appr. 3 years ago there was released "101" live 2-disc SA-CD album.

Be careful with buying of bazaar SA-CD 101 album. First release was produced with incorrect 5.1 tracks. More info please find at depmod.com

Ultra + Exciter SA-CD editions will be released in September (originally in May :-( )

if you want another SA-CD electronic albums (2.0 or 5.1) try Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk or Kitaro - they released some albums at SA-CD format. For more albums you can visit www.sa-cd.net . It is the best site about SA-CD albums
Post Posted Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:00 am
Nico_Noyau
Assistant Admin & Bootleg Expert

I wasn't much much into them, but after having listened to Enjoy The Silence and Martyr (love that one !) on radio, I really like them, but I have never listened to other tracks, what would you advise me to listen to, regarding to what I like ?
Image Image
My music, webdev, photos, videos : www.nicolaskern.fr
Robert Dugenou

Attended :
Teo&Tea showcase in Cannes [France] - 20/05/2007
Théâtre Marigny, Paris [France] - 15/12/2007
<2010> Marseille [France] - 20/03/2010
Monaco - 01/07/2011
Arènes de Nîmes – 14/07/2016

• 2020 Zoolook.nl