Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Popcorn?

Post Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:37 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

No the one you posted is from the 80's. I think it's a track by M&H Band. This is so typical 80's :wink:

You can listen to the original Pop Corn form 1969 here.

The track starts at 00:22
Post Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:01 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Yes but here's a tricky part because now the founder of this track, Kingsley himself has made a remake during 2007
on a grand piano:

:wink: :pwned:

Btw, I personally love this choice of video for the M&H Popcorn version
because there's a swedish dude on a yellow motorbike in some short sequenses. :)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 pm
Analog Bend

Btw, I personally love this choice of video for the M&H Popcorn version
because there's a swedish dude on a yellow motorbike in some short sequenses.
http://www.youtube.com/wa...feature=related
THIS is the version...... the best version......
I Program my Home Computer, beam myself into the future....
Post Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:32 am
Armandox

Likes received  : 1

Jakob BC wrote:No the one you posted is from the 80's. I think it's a track by M&H Band. This is so typical 80's :wink:

You can listen to the original Pop Corn form 1969 here.

The track starts at 00:22
Popcorn is a track made famous by Hot Butter & The Popcornmakers in 1972 and composed and originally performed by Gershon Kingsley waaaaay back in 1969 (5 years before I was born). This (Hot Butter) is the most well know version of this song (you can clearly hear by the timbres the backing is also played on some organ! Most likely Farfisa...?!?!). I bet some money on it that this, amongst some other tracks, has inspired Jarre for Oxygene in some way (not only musical wise, but also organ-wise :wink: ). Also the early Moog's can be heard on this track. In the later 70's it has also been covered by guitaroriented-band 'The Sputniks' which I have still laying around on an old vinyl record somewhere (I'll try and dig it up... it's a real rarity!!!)... In the 70's everybody tried to incorporate synthesizers in their music, a lot of people where looking and exploring, but finally 1976 JMJ hit it big with Oxygene, because he was the first not trying to incorporate them in music, but LETTING them be the music and giving synthe's their rightful place in time and history... the rest IS history... Grtz,

Armandox
Post Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:02 am
Antigoon

Ah, I see you read Dr Jones's popcorn site...

Jarre was definetly not the first BTW, not to mention the fact that 85% of JMJ's music from that era wasn't made by synthesizers at all but electronic organs..

Jarre discovered this organ when working with dominique perrier in the early 70's on Christophe and Gerard Lenorman albums, in fact, he borrowed one of dominique's organs to use on oxygene...

The true pioneers were kingsley and perrey when it comes to synthesizer music (combining it with GRM style tape loops), along with walter carlos who only used synths (mostly moog)... those are just a few PPL though, there are many more you could add to that list.
Post Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:08 am
AnDrOiD

Actually popcorn was first made by the Indians in America, more than thousand years ago. :P :robertdugenou:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:47 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3

^ :robertdugenou: :nod: :lol:
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:31 pm
Armandox

Antigoon wrote: Jarre discovered this organ when working with dominique perrier in the early 70's on Christophe and Gerard Lenorman albums, in fact, he borrowed one of dominique's organs to use on oxygene...
Talking about Dominiqie Perrier... who does still remember Perrier and Roger Rizzitelli as the duo Space Art with their one-hit wonder Onyx?
Post Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:46 pm
johannes

I do ! I am absolute fan of this band.

I made the "Space Art" website where you can listen to very rare stuff ...

http://space-art-music.com

Enjoy the time travel

:fine:
Post Posted Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:41 am
Elisabeth

I did listen to 'Popcorn' in the year 1970/71
Post Posted Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:38 am
Antigoon

Bubbling with joy;P wrote:I did listen to 'Popcorn' in the year 1970/71

...and Mr. jarre was one of the musicians that time it was a hit for the first time!

Am I right?:D
read Dr Jones site to find out all about popcorn, and yes, you will find out if your statement is true, or not...

http://www.popcorn-song.com/

All the info about popcorn known to man is on there, including the Kraftwerk version...

All questions about popcorn become obsolete after reading that wonderful website

Go visit

Now

Don't wait any longer

Go!

Still here? GO!
Post Posted Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:47 am
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Yes indeed a nice website. That timeline is worth a lot as the p2p network seem to have spoiled people's knowledge about the track... who made the different versions and who was first. Even i was trapped some years ago when I first heard the M & H Band version stated as a JMJ track.
Post Posted Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:20 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Popcorn was supposedly played on some Hugo show a few years back and a former friend of mine had developed hatred against it. He didn't like the M&H Band version either and he stubbornly didn't believe me when I told it wasn't Kraftwerk's but that didn't stop him from thinking all of "Kraftwerk"'s music was like that :P

(That's not the reason he's a former friend now :P)
Post Posted Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:53 pm
Elisabeth

Popcorn a nice track from the past :D
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:42 am
Elisabeth

The most important is what kind of music jarre can pop up in the future? :P

• 2020 Zoolook.nl