Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Popcorn?

Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:48 am
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

Yes it had nothing to do with Jarre, he just did a coverversion in 1973.
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:02 am
Elisabeth

OK :)
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:39 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

Bubbling with joy;P wrote:So Jean Michel Jarre had no influence on the first Popcorn version from 1969?? :roll:

..and he was not one of the musicians on the 1969 Popcorn either?? :roll:

I try to find out by myself!

http://www.answers.com/Gershon%20Kingsley

http://www.answers.com/topic/popcorn-instrumental

.and I read about Popcorn hmmm...no Jarre connected to the first version I did listen to in the year 1970/71

...strange???? :roll:

Who cares anyway what Jarre did in the 1970th... :roll:

If anybody wonder..I just had a discussion with myself.... :roll:
Hello, have you seen my website?
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:41 pm
Elisabeth

Yes Dr. Jones I did ...
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:04 pm
Antigoon

What is your question then?

Did JMJ do a popcorn? yes!

Is it likely you heard it when you were young? No! Since his version wasn't released outside of france and even in france only a few hundred copies of his version were sold...

And how the hack should we know what you heard back then?
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:10 pm
Jakob BC
English Moderator, Studio/Stage Expert

I think Tur's question was how JMJ was involved in Pop Corn. Hot Butter or First Moog Quartet does not really reveal the names behind the music.
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:13 pm
Elisabeth

:pwned:
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:14 pm
Antigoon

The answer is on jones's site..

All he did was make his own cover version of the song made famous by hot butter at the time...

Who were involved in hot butter is not a mystery either if you read carefully and JMJ wasn't one of them... Just click the bloody "origin" button on the site to find out... or just do a search on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Butter

Why are there still so many questions when the answers are all on http://www.popcorn-song.com ???
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:29 pm
Elisabeth

Thanks for you help... :D
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:11 pm
AnDrOiD

It's beyond me how some people can mistake the M&H Band version for being Kraftwerk. It doesn't sound the slightest like them. :roll:
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:17 pm
Elisabeth

Popcorn is still popular :mrgreen:
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:32 pm
Elisabeth

:peacemaan:
Post Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:53 pm
Elisabeth

*Hot Butter wasn't so much a group as an alias, for keyboard virtuoso Stan Free, a top session player of the 1960's (with credits including work on albums by the Monkees, Arlo Guthrie, John Denver, et al), and a support musician or two working behind his Moog synthesizer. Free had cut several unsuccessful singles under his own name during the late 1960's, and also had been a member of a Moog synthesizer ensemble, the First Moog Quartet, organized by Gershon Kingsley -- during their 1969 tour of the United States, the group had used Kingsley's dance instrumental "Popcorn" (which he had written and recorded in 1969 on his album Music To Moog By), as an encore, and it elicited some of the most positive reactions from audiences. Two years later, when Free issued a new recording of "Popcorn", he used the pseudonym Hot Butter; this was a shrewd marketing ploy, for not only did that name seem to fit together with the title of the piece better than "Stan Free" would have, but it also made it easier to remember and request the piece at record stores and on the radio -- some accounts say that Kingsley also played on that record, though he wasn't credited. Whoever was on it, the result was a top-10 hit in America and England. Albums and other singles followed, mostly of classical works and familiar pop and movie tunes transcribed for synthesizer, but "Popcorn" remained his sole charting 45. It was popular enough to turn up as theme music and bridge-music for numerous television stations' productions, and is recognized today as an early forerunner of both disco music and synth-pop. In 2000, the collected recordings of Hot Butter were issued on a single CD. ~ Bruce Eder*
Post Posted Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:32 am
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Armandox wrote: This (Hot Butter) is the most well know version of this song (you can clearly hear by the timbres the backing is also played on some organ! Most likely Farfisa...?!?!).
I think the crazy snare drummer and the tambourine gave this track personality. :)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:24 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

Bubbling with joy;P wrote:For the first time..i have been really reading about the first Popcorntrack....I'm very impatient with names and titles...otherwice my memory is very good!!!! :P

Who is Stan Free????
From my site:

In 1972, "Popcorn" was recorded by a group of musicians under the band name Hot Butter. Stan Free, who was a member of the First Moog Quartet, played the Moog on this recording. Stan Free was a session pianist who had worked with artists like Paul Simon and Peggy Lee and was credited on many film and TV productions.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl