Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Metamorphoses

Post Posted Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 pm
SF01

Likes received  : 2

So what's new on the new 2018 remaster with updated cover, any audio changes?
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am
Dr_Jones

Online Now
Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

I've not done an extensive test of the remaster myself. Same for the Geometry of Love remaster by the way.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 am
phonetic1990

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

SF01 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:20 pm So what's new on the new 2018 remaster with updated cover, any audio changes?
better stick to the original release ... despite a nice new cover which seems to match the one on the back where the tracklist is ... but it's not the cover you listen to ;-) Booklet is actually the same as the original booklet except for changes to the font of the lyrics .
"The most amazing sight... ever viewed... by the human eye!" :shock:
Fan JMJ at first 1997... later in 2005 and really from 2009 to ∞ :)
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:30 pm
SF01

I forgot Geometry was remastered too.

From what I've read (and I've read all 30something pages of remasters thread) I'm, hunting first presses.
Tough I am curious, if the HMV CD box-sets have Equinoxe with the crackling noise on Equinoxe 3 intro.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

SF01 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:30 pm I forgot Geometry was remastered too.
And they botched it. GOL part 1 is missing the strings. It's nice for fans more on the "die-hard" side, because we have another version of this track, not so much for others.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:24 pm
Dr_Jones

Online Now

Jote wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm And they botched it. GOL part 1 is missing the strings. It's nice for fans more on the "die-hard" side, because we have another version of this track, not so much for others.
Damn, I listened to Oxygene 7-13 of that 3rd batch of remasters and that was bad (so much white noise and hissing) that I didn't bother listening to Metamorphoses and GoL. Looks like I did well for not doing that.
Post Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Jote wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm
And they botched it. GOL part 1 is missing the strings. It's nice for fans more on the "die-hard" side, because we have another version of this track, not so much for others.
It's a different mix? Curious if they used the final recording or if the opened up the original files and messed up with a new export.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:48 am
SF01

Jote wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm
I can appreciate alternate versions, but not on remasters replacing original ones...
Countless artists have been released as 2CD Deluxe Editions with bonus tracks, demos, alternate mixes, whatever, but no, not JMJ, never. And it is in 2021 that I learn that Revolutions had a new mix replacing the old one, Equinoxe5 too now some tracks have differances in remasters, such as sections missing, starting early, or late, not to mention reversed channels... That's not the way to handle alternate versions.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 am
Jote

shadow wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:26 pm
Jote wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:48 pm And they botched it. GOL part 1 is missing the strings. It's nice for fans more on the "die-hard" side, because we have another version of this track, not so much for others.
It's a different mix? Curious if they used the final recording or if the opened up the original files and messed up with a new export.
No idea how that happened. I raised the issue to Louis back then, but he was on his way out, so the conversation died of natural causes :)

2003:
Geometry-of-Love-part-1-2003-CD.mp3
(233.1 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
2018:
Geometry-of-Love-part-1-2018-Spotify.mp3
(231.88 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:09 am
Dr_Jones

Online Now

I'm stunned.... Amazing how someone can do this.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:54 am
shadow

I'm very curious if part of the reason that some of the older albums have a new mix is because they might have used multiple master tapes and are stitching them incorrectly back together in the digital realm instead of using the final master mix. You'd think they'd probably use the final mix tape, but considering that Ethnicolor has different timings on the transition of the first part to the second part, and not just once, but every single re-release (outside of the original '85 remix) has had completely different timing on the transition. And that's ignoring that both Zoolook and Zzoolookologie have had a different mix with each new release (original, remix, '97 (despite what the Wiki page says is not the same mix as the original)). And the 2015 remaster was the first time that they reused the original mix in over thirty years.

It's so bizarre how Jarre and re-releases are just the absolute bare minimum of what they need to be. New art and that's really about it. The only times we get a new remix or an unreleased track on the occasional compilation album like with: Images, Rarities or Planet Jarre. But outside of those it's always been the exact thing you'd expect.

I'd really love it if they'd finally release these in a deluxe edition or a new compilation album of nothing but new material. We know that (and to bring it back to this album) Metamorphoses had a different track listing and that some tracks were cut (and added) in the final stages of the release. The Sun still has not received an official release, but we know that it would be on the album, but that never happened and there's been nothing ever since. I know chances are extremely slim, but I'd love for them to finally do anything with Experimental 2001 and there's so much more. But alas...
Jote wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:57 amNo idea how that happened. I raised the issue to Louis back then, but he was on his way out, so the conversation died of natural causes :)

-snip-
To my untrained ear, I'd say that they have exported the track again and messed up with the layering. Maybe muted one of the channels or something similar. Because there should be no reason for this album to have any issues whatsoever. I've tried recreating this one myself and found quite a few of the samples within (I think it was Reason) and that program shouldn't just drop audio for no reason. So I'm very curious what happened on this one. Shame that the conversation died, because this is quite a weird thing.

Do any of the other remasters have similar changes? I'd be more than interested in getting those for that. I know Rendez-Vous has the hilarious tape issues, but bugger that.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:06 am
SF01

If they opened the multitrack session, but some of the VSTs, or sample libraries were missing, since it's probably on new PC, than no wonder it got messed up.
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:11 am
shadow

Depending on how they saved the files, that's also very much a possibility, absolutely. I've run into similar problems with other projects in the past, but always did my best to fix the projects into the state that they were supposed to be in. But alas, can't expect a professional musician to have the same courtesy for his own work apparently...
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am
Jote

SF01 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:06 am If they opened the multitrack session, but some of the VSTs, or sample libraries were missing, since it's probably on new PC, than no wonder it got messed up.
Very much doubt that was the case. The multitrack sessions are usually stored in plain WAVs. It was probably a session with an "alternate mix", someone just took the wrong file. Mistakes like that happen, some of the quite recent ones include:
  • Oxygene 19 - extra "crash" effects on vinyl, missing on CD
Post Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 am
shadow

Hence why I'm very curious how they (exported these files and) saved them. Some of these changes shouldn't have happened unless they were done deliberately, but all these changes seem all like they just happened on accident. It's just bizarre how these problems keep slipping through.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl