Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Concerts In China

Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:26 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Oh wow, they made the China cover as SVG! That's pretty handy!
I copy-pasted the SVG code to a seperate image here:
https://zoolook.nl/img/cic.svg
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:55 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:12 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

Possibly an unpopular opinion here: I really don't like Souvenir of China. I never choose to listen to it and always skip it if it appears when I'm listening to a JMJ album. I'd even make the effort to fast forward past the track in my cassette days. I like gentle, dreamy, melancholy JMJ music but Souvenir of China never builds and doesn't really go anywhere. And I think the camera clicks are a bit of a gimmick.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:40 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I only like the AERO remix of the track, find the original to sound super flat and uninteresting as well.
And I do have to add, super awesome that the page has been updated, these are seriously the best I've ever seen those concert photos. Really happy they're in such high quality!

https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /098-Q.jpg
https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /118-Q.jpg
https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /099-Q.jpg
https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /015-Q.jpg
https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /148-Q.jpg
https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /136-Q.jpg
https://jeanmicheljarre.com/wp-content/ ... /159-Q.jpg
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:47 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

The release seems to be lackluster, but the SVG + photos are really cool

Also, to no surprise, the only version of SoC that I really listen to is the PLD (/Hong Kong 1994 album) one ;)

(I actually prefer the Ed Starink version as far as studio versions go :o)
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:11 pm
Dr_Jones

Richard-Eastham wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:12 pm Possibly an unpopular opinion here: I really don't like Souvenir of China. I never choose to listen to it and always skip it if it appears when I'm listening to a JMJ album. I'd even make the effort to fast forward past the track in my cassette days. I like gentle, dreamy, melancholy JMJ music but Souvenir of China never builds and doesn't really go anywhere. And I think the camera clicks are a bit of a gimmick.
Agreed. And it's used in almost every JMJ concert.
Post Posted Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:06 pm
nexxxus

Likes given: 99
Likes received  : 23

Dr_Jones wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:11 pm
Richard-Eastham wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:12 pm Possibly an unpopular opinion here: I really don't like Souvenir of China. I never choose to listen to it and always skip it if it appears when I'm listening to a JMJ album. I'd even make the effort to fast forward past the track in my cassette days. I like gentle, dreamy, melancholy JMJ music but Souvenir of China never builds and doesn't really go anywhere. And I think the camera clicks are a bit of a gimmick.
Agreed. And it's used in almost every JMJ concert.
I understand but today, precisely, Jarre speaks of "Souvenir of China" on Facebook. It must be integrated into the film of the concerts in China, as a retrospective, a conclusion, a souvenir photo album...
I have always heard it as such and the clicks of the photos are a way of representing it.
Post Posted Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:36 pm
nexxxus

A question about Vinyl vs CD edition...
Does the vinyl only contain a poster or also the booklet?
Post Posted Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:09 pm
Dr_Jones

I suspect the poster is the booklet, or at least has all the things which are in the booklet too.
Post Posted Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:02 pm
nexxxus

Dr_Jones wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:09 pm I suspect the poster is the booklet, or at least has all the things which are in the booklet too.
On the official website we can see (I think) the poster which represents concerts promo poster ...
I was wondering if the cardboard sleeves or even the inside of the double disc could not be used for this? I don't know...
Post Posted Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:36 am
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

Since you guys mentioned Souvenir de Chine... There is an interesting studio version with different arrangement and textures (very likely a demo) that can be heard for about 2 minutes in the background (but clearly) during an interview of Christophe in 2016 on RTL, where he speaks a bit about his work with JMJ. And that track almost became a song with vocals by Christophe.
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:42 pm
Elf

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 3

Here is what Jarre said about TCiC when I interviewed him in 2018:

– The first real version I heard of Part 2 was on The Concerts in China (1982) album. And when I finally heard the original, I was disappointed. Because I felt the China version has this energy that is missing from the original.

– I totally agree. And this is the reason why that I on the anthology Planet Jarre, I remixed that song, and used the solo and drums from the China version of the track. It’s funny, because you can ask a lot of artists, especially on the rock scene, about this. You do the studio version, and then you go on stage, and you’re improving it by playing it in a new and fresh way. It’s like the studio version is the demo, and then the song grows up and becomes an adult on stage. For Magnetic Fields 2, that is certainly true. You are the first one I talk to who has mentioned that, but we are in complete agreement.

We had now sort of moved on to the album The Concerts in China. In 1981. Jarre was the first western musician to perform there in modern times. He did five concerts in Bejing and Shanghai, and the resulting album was released a year later.

– For me, that isn’t a live album. It’s obvious when listening to the Chinese radio broadcasts that you did a lot of work on the music in the studio when you came back. So, for me it’s more of a musical documentary of your experience in China.

– You know, that’s a perfect way to put it! You are absolutely right! For me, The Concerts in China was my next studio album after Magnetic Fields. It’s not a live record. Sure, it comes from a live experience, but it’s a concept album, like a studio album, with live elements. So, you are right, it’s like an audio documentary.

– My favourite track by you is on that album, namely Arpegiator. I like it when you play around with sounds, and still manage to create something so catchy. I was so happy that you included it on the Sequences section of Planet Jarre.

– And that is why I started the that section of the anthology with that track. It has a special magic, like its should be boring, but it’s not. It was a perfect way to start that part of the compilation.

I then, slightly embarrassed, admit to Jarre that it took me 20 years to realise that The Overture on that album is a slowed down version of opening section of Magnetic Fields Part 1.

– Yes! I was discussing with my band that was on stage with me in China about what we should open the concerts with. And the sound engineer made a mistake and he played Magnetic Fields 1 at half speed. And I said: “That’s it,” ha ha!

– And the worst part is, that on the China album, there is a track of bouncing ping pong balls, that lasts 21 seconds. And you’ve called that Magnetic Fields Part 1. The track is originally 17 minutes. Was it a joke?

– Yes, exactly, he he.

It's from Part 2 of the four part interview I did with him -> https://domino.elfworld.org/the-journey ... rash-bins/
-Elf-
http://www.elfworld.org/
"I'm not as think as you drunk I am"
Post Posted Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:46 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

And despite that, I'd love it if they'd release the actual live version. Yeah, it sounds a bit janky, but come on, it's a literal historical event. The original absolutely deserves to be out to the public in good (well as good as it can get) quality.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:26 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I do wonder what versions the bootleg guy's CiC anniversary book is using for tracks like Orient Express since I'm quite sure they don't match up with the ones on the VHS and he's claiming that they're not from the album either...
Post Posted Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:37 am
Pat Gleeson

Likes given: 303
Likes received  : 16

Finaero wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:26 pm ... he's claiming that they're not from the album either...

Bootleggers claim all sorts of things. Since they are are unofficial bootlegs without provenance, you have no guarantee what's in them, or if they are as described.
Concerts attended:
Destination Docklands 1988
Paris la Defense 1990
Europe in Concert - Wembley Stadium 1993
Oxygene Tour - Wembley Arena 1997
Theatre Marigny Paris 2007
Oxygene Tour - NCH Dublin 2008
2010 Tour - The 02 Dublin The 02 London (10-10-10)
Electronica Tour - 3Arena Dublin 2016

• 2020 Zoolook.nl