Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

ENIGMA

Post Posted Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:11 pm
ILIAS

today we have such important news that it would be not correct to post it in old 7LMF thread so here we go:

http://www.enigmasocialsong.com/

what is inside is the most exciting news from musical world we had for quite a time !

I am sure many of you will get mad about it :D

here is Michael speaking about it all

Post Posted Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:12 pm
qube

I do find Enigma frustrating, their/his first album is absolutely fantastic, every second is brilliant, the production sublime & I watch the DVD all the time, however I'm convinced Cretu must have had a lot of help with it as every subsequent album has been poor by comparison, yet they all sound the same but the first one is different. I always buy the new album hoping for something awesome but each time I'm left frustrated.
Post Posted Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

qube wrote:I do find Enigma frustrating, their/his first album is absolutely fantastic, every second is brilliant, the production sublime & I watch the DVD all the time, however I'm convinced Cretu must have had a lot of help with it as every subsequent album has been poor by comparison, yet they all sound the same but the first one is different. I always buy the new album hoping for something awesome but each time I'm left frustrated.
I agree, although I prefer the 2nd album over the 1st. After that, the quality just dropped. Having said that, this idea he poses in the video is very good.
Post Posted Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:48 am
(Unknown)
Foster parent to lost posts

Dr_Jones wrote:
qube wrote:I do find Enigma frustrating, their/his first album is absolutely fantastic, every second is brilliant, the production sublime & I watch the DVD all the time, however I'm convinced Cretu must have had a lot of help with it as every subsequent album has been poor by comparison, yet they all sound the same but the first one is different. I always buy the new album hoping for something awesome but each time I'm left frustrated.
I agree, although I prefer the 2nd album over the 1st. After that, the quality just dropped. Having said that, this idea he poses in the video is very good.
2nd album is best, 3rd and 4th aren't bad at all. But from Voyageur on, it's crap... especially the last one. Sheez.

As for the idea. I'm not sure...
This user is not the original creator of this post, but was kind enough to adopt it. If you are or know the original poster, send Dr_Jones a PM here: https://zoolook.nl/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=47
Post Posted Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:59 am
Equinoxe

Likes received  : 1

There is a reason why E1 sounds different,because of Frank peterson's input into the bands sound,he left after the first album and Cretu took full reign,you can see his name all over the Album under the guise of F. Gregorian,he formed his own band called Gregorian which carried on the similar direction as the original music.

Enigma are like the Jarres and Vangelis's DM's in that within a few bars of hearing new music you instantly know its them.

I prefer Cretus production of heavily processed drums and layers,the Enigma albums for me got better after the first album "The eyes of truth" and "push the Limits" are some of my favourite tracks of all time that have the Cretu signature production all over them,which kind of mellowed a little in subsequent albums,still Voyaguer is perhaps the best Album for me,Seven Lives,Many faces took some time to get used to but Its up there for me with the better albums.
Post Posted Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:31 am
qube

Equinoxe wrote:

There is a reason why E1 sounds different,because of Frank peterson's input into the bands sound,he left after the first album and Cretu took full reign,you can see his name all over the Album under the guise of F. Gregorian,he formed his own band called Gregorian which carried on the similar direction as the original music.

Enigma are like the Jarres and Vangelis's DM's in that within a few bars of hearing new music you instantly know its them.
Didn't know this, thanks.
Post Posted Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:40 pm
ILIAS

your very last chance!
register now on enigmasocialsong.com and get free copy of it with booklet including your name!
Post Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:41 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 310

I hope his musical career will survive this.
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 pm
Dr_Jones

Kanta wrote:I hope his musical career will survive this.
it still has a chance to survive?
Post Posted Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:16 pm
Dominc

Dr_Jones wrote:
Kanta wrote:I hope his musical career will survive this.
it still has a chance to survive?
Looks like it has because this appeared on Twitter today

https://twitter.com/enigmaspace/status/578550414561259520
It's more fun to compute on the Autobahn
Post Posted Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:48 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 43

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... revolution

"The spiritual and erotic blended with sampling reminiscent of Jean-Michel Jarre, emanating an irresistible scent of sin"
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:28 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Been getting into Enigma since shortly, the group really peaked unbelievably early with MCMXC A.d. What an absolute masterpiece of an album! Outside of that one, I really enjoy; The Cross of Change, The Mask Behind the Mirror and quite a few tracks of Le Roi ist Mort Vive le Roi. But the rest is just really hit or miss for me.
Voyaguer just feels off, A Posteriori has a few nice moments but is mostly bland, Seven Lifes Many Faces is mostly terrible with some decent ideas thrown into the mix and The Fall of a Rebel Angel is a great concept album but not much more than that.
I honestly think that Cretu should get more people involved again and bounce ideas off of other people, the best work under the label was the earlier stuff (for me personally of course).

Also, they FINALLY released all eight (plus compilation) albums on vinyl! While I doubt I'll be getting all nine releases, I will absolutely splurge all over MCMXC A.d, The Screen Behind the Mirror and (despite me calling it mostly bland, go figure) A Posteriori. I might get more down the line, but for now, those three are my absolute top priority!
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:23 pm
Dr_Jones

If you like Enigma, I suggest listening to Delerium, especially their albums Semantic Spaces, Karma and Poem. It's much in the same spirit as Enigma, but with more sequencers. The later albums are also a bit bland with some sporadic great tracks.
Post Posted Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:16 pm
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

1987 John Serrie And The Stars Go With You
album dedicated to Challeneger tragedy
https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&s ... onn+serrie

is one of the albums that influenced Michael Cretu to make MCMXC AD.

And the Stars Go With You also influenced Space Ambient, Astral Trance, Cosmic Trance, ChillOut as
:
The Orb, Golbal Communication, Monolake, Carbon Based Lifeforms,
Higher Intelligence Agency, Irresistible Force, Stellardrones, Sundaya,
Tetsu Inoue, Unusual Cosmic Process, Voyage Futur.

(only reason I am aware of these is because of the research I've recently done analysing 1947-2020 Electronic Music).
Post Posted Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm
Dr_Jones

Also, reading the article, I see Cretu has worked one of Oldfield's albums. Oldfield's Songs of Distant Earth is heavily influenced by Enigma. In fact, it reminds me of the early speculations of who Enigma really was. Press releases only stated that it's someone well known in the music industry. With the MCMXCad album being released on Virgin, people initially thought it was Mike Oldfield.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl