Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Remastered Albums 2014 and 2015

Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:23 am
Sobtanian

Oxygene and Equinoxe have turned up in my Amazon cloud player, albiet in MP3 format. Will have a listen in the car today and report back.

Also, listening to those jarregirl vids (thanks!) and a bit of O4 on my cloud player, it seems that the remasters are yet again obsessed with highs and treble, with bass almost washed out. Sure this does bring out some stuff (percussion and cymbals) but for example the sub synths in Oxygene are barely audible, compared to any other recording.

Not sure these can be listened to with equaliser messing about, loathe as I am.
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:06 am
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

Sobtanian wrote:Also, listening to those jarregirl vids (thanks!)
You are welcome. :)
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:37 pm
JeromeTV

Likes given: 44
Likes received  : 4

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:20 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 311

For the hardcore collectors. 8)
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:34 pm
Sobtanian

Kanta wrote:
For the hardcore collectors. 8)
Wow, they look amazing!

I haven't received any CDs from Amazon yet.
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:08 pm
JeromeTV

They also messed up the tracktimes on the magnetic fields cover:

The actual playing times on the CD are like this: (playing here now :) )

1 Magnetic Fields Part 1 17:58
2 Magnetic Fields Part 2 3:58
3 Magnetic Fields Part 3 4:10
4 Magnetic Fields Part 4 6:25
5 Magnetic Fields Part 5 3:30
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 pm
JeromeTV

and not to forget the messed up equiNOXE font :punch:

Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 pm
Dv_

JeromeTV wrote:and not to forget the messed up equiNOXE font :punch:
Not only the font, have a close look at the right side... :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch:
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:54 pm
Robi

shadow wrote: People might call Michael Oldfield a cheap ass, but atleast he gives unheard material...
An example

" Mike Oldfield’s sixth album was a beautiful blend of instrumentals and songs that showed how he was able to adapt to the shifting musical mores of the new decade. Released in October 1980, it features two of his most loved instrumentals, QE2 and Taurus, as well as cover versions of Wonderful Land by the Shadows and, surprisingly perhaps for the time, Arrival by Abba.

The 2012 remastered edition contains three bonus tracks, the single edit of Wonderful Land, the live B-side ‘Polka’, and a 2012 reworking of Sheba, entitled Shiva. The second disc of the Deluxe edition, which contains an interview with Mike in its 16-page booklet, features nine previously unreleased tracks recorded on the QE2 tour in Essen, Germany in 1981. "
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:03 pm
rinogurr

Likes received  : 47

Have any extra sleeve notes or photos in the booklet??
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:10 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Robi wrote:
shadow wrote: People might call Michael Oldfield a cheap ass, but atleast he gives unheard material...
An example

" Mike Oldfield’s sixth album was a beautiful blend of instrumentals and songs that showed how he was able to adapt to the shifting musical mores of the new decade. Released in October 1980, it features two of his most loved instrumentals, QE2 and Taurus, as well as cover versions of Wonderful Land by the Shadows and, surprisingly perhaps for the time, Arrival by Abba.

The 2012 remastered edition contains three bonus tracks, the single edit of Wonderful Land, the live B-side ‘Polka’, and a 2012 reworking of Sheba, entitled Shiva. The second disc of the Deluxe edition, which contains an interview with Mike in its 16-page booklet, features nine previously unreleased tracks recorded on the QE2 tour in Essen, Germany in 1981. "
As with mr Vangelis, Mike O. also remixed 5.1 surround mixes from the new remasters (2009-2013) by himself.
I'm not the man to tell how loud those mixes are, but as good as they sounds in my speakers I can forget him if it's not 100% right, yet close. So..."cheap ass" ? I think not. ;)
Dv_ wrote:
Not only the font, have a close look at the right side... :punch: :punch: :punch: :punch:
It is sad really.
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 pm
Jon

Likes received  : 1

What a major screw-up from such a established publisher as SonyBMG. Considering this is their first time promoting JMJ, how did they pass these is beyond me. How embarrassing for the artist. The album cover sells the artist.
Jarre concerts attended - Destination Docklands 1988 - Paris La Defense 1990 - Europe In Concert 1993 (Manchester & London) - Oxygene Tour 1997 (Birmingham)

"A group of men and woman entered the laboratory one month ago to live in a smell free world. Body odour, sweaty arms pits and smelly feet are to create the energy to survive. A total mystery surrounds this experiment, and it's project code name: B.O and Smell'i "
Post Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Robi wrote:An example
A few examples I perfer myself, outside of the 5.1 Mixes.

Tubular Bells Unreleased Mix, Tubular Bells Demos, Hergest Ridge Part 1 & Part 2 Unreleased (seems like innital idea) Mix, Ommadawn Lost Version, Incantations demo's (in 5.1 because full album had deteriorated beyond salvaging apparently), Platinum unreleased concert, QE2 unreleased concert, Five Miles Out Early Mix, FMO/Crises unreleased concert, Crises - Moonlight Shadow/Shadow on the Wall Unplugged Mix. And with Man on the Rocks there was a second disc containing the entire album instrumental (although it seems like a pre-final mix, noticed quite a few very slight differences) and a third disc featuring a couple of alternate mixes and demo versions of all sings on the album sung by Oldfield himself. Which BTW is awesome! His voice is awful compared to '91 when he did Heavens Open, but still to get these kinds of things happens rarely.
Oh and ofcourse the remix competition for which all master recordings of all instruments (this included tons of unused music ques) for the original Tubular Bells were given out for free to anyone who wanted them.

Well few... Basically 90% of everything :punch:

Velodynamic wrote:As with mr Vangelis, Mike O. also remixed 5.1 surround mixes from the new remasters (2009-2013) by himself.
I'm not the man to tell how loud those mixes are, but as good as they sounds in my speakers I can forget him if it's not 100% right, yet close. So..."cheap ass" ? I think not. ;)
Vangelis never remixed his music for 5.1. There are ofcourse the movie soundtracks of him being remastered for 5.1, but that's being done by the enginere guys of movie studios without Vangelis overseeing anything. Unless you meant that Vangelis himself does his own remasters for the most part, which sound incredible might I add. The recent remasters are great. The added reverb might be off putting to some (honestly I think the added reverb to Dervish D. completely destroys the track). But the new transfers were great and Direct (1988) and Page of Life (1991, now with incredibly rare single added) have never sound better. Direct I'd say is one of the best remasters I've ever heard because it barely changed a thing.
And about the 5.1 Oldfield mixes loudness... Well that's absolutely amazing!

Ommadawn - Part 1
Five Miles Out - Taurus II
Crises - Crises
Crises - Taurus 3

How did this get released, especially with that misprint on the side!?
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 am
Robi

Only the MASTERS can deeply consider then convince true remasterisations. Not like jarre.
"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:16 am
Rubberlips

It's a real shame.

The quality of the cover suggests the content has been rushed too.

It would have really benefitted from Jarre having a hand in it.

If he did have a hand in it then I fear he doesn't place a lot of emphasis on quality anymore.

He should have brought Geiss in to oversee this...
web: http://www.wix.com/carlpurkins/the-carl-purkins-website
email: carlpurkins@yahoo.com
blog: carlpurkins.blogspot.com

"I called the album 'Oxygene' because air is a necessity and I hope that, like air, my music is a basic need appreciated by everyone of all ages." - J M Jarre

• 2020 Zoolook.nl