Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Electronica 2: The Heart of Noise by Jean-Michel Jarre

Post Posted Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:50 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 194
Likes received  : 402

Synner wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:35 pm Megamix (continuous mix but with different versions of some tracks - not mentioned anywhere - only found out years later when I played it by accident)
The continuous mix of Electronica 1 is my to-go version to play that record.
PS: you should play Close Your Eyes from the vinyl record, there's a subtle difference between the CD/digital version and the vinyl version:
https://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic. ... 1&p=195939
(my original post is gone, but I'll add it to the forum in the next content import)
Post Posted Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:21 pm
Synner

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 8

Yeah, I always just assumed the Megamix was just the Album stitched together - as it was with Vol.2 - so never got round to playing it until it came up on random skip one day. I'd like to listen to it more - as I think Electronica is Jarre's best album since Chronologie - but if I listen to it as individual tracks, I can skip the bits I'm not so keen on - namely Glory (embarrassingly bad), and Train (a celebration of Electronic music - so lets have a piano piece?) from Volume 1, and the terribly dull meandering Orb track from Volume 2.

I would play the vinyl version - except I've only got a cr*ppy turntable with a stylus more liable to sand down the disc than play it, and besides, the vinyl is still sealed in the original shrinkwrap it came in. Plus, as someone who grew up in the 80's, I vastly prefer CD or (HD) digital to vinyl, and always have. I know this can be considered fighting talk nowadays, but really, vinyl was ruddy awful first time round, a music format that is actually being destroyed as you play it - why on earth is it now so trendy with the modern hipster kids now? Wait till someone plays them a compact disc. Mind. Blown.

Anyway - had a listen to your CYE samples - thanks - yes, sounds like the vinyl has an earlier mix than the CD - as there is a layer of sound missing, is the best way I can describe it. That or Monsieur Cocque-Up came calling during the pressing.
Post Posted Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

A well mastered LP will sound miles better than the average CD anno 1995, let alone 2021. The loudness that affects the CD/digital release does not affect the LP, which is the biggest plus these days*. And an LP won't actually deteriorate if you handle it properly. A good stylus with the right (counter) weight is super important. If it's too heavy, yes you're going to be screwing up the record. About 1 gram should be the weight when playing and you're not destroying the record. Have a good amplifier and some decent speakers and it'll sound bloody amazing.

What's also great in this day and age, ripping the LP for the optimal quality, sticking it onto a USB stick and playing those files through a receiver. I have a ton of LP rips on my PC and play them on occasion through receiver. Have two B&W speakers connected to it and the quality couldn't be better (with the budget I have that is). Now those CD versions though...

Edit: Now to add to this, you of course need a good foundation to begin with. So most of the Jarre remasters are a hot mess both on CD and LP. In part because the remastering is just terrible (and I expect they just slap the digital master onto a LP and call it a day). But also because some of the (new?) tape transfers is just garbage to begin with. Rendez-Vous had wow/flutter in the first track, which seemed to originate from the tape they used. Oxygene 7-13 had some hilariously terrible EQ disasters where (most noticeable in Part 8 ) the quality noticeable dropped throughout constantly. And I doubt that's the fault of whatever filter they used. That entire remaster was a hot disaster. The German (?) LP from way back when is still the album has sounded.

*That's not to say that LP's can't be loud, they absolutely can be. But they can't push the loudness on a LP like they can with a digital release.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:27 am
SF01

Likes received  : 2

A well mastered CD will sound miles better than the imperfect and noisy analog medium with static and surface noise, limited dynamics, bass in mono and limted dynamic range. The best analog sound you will get on open reel then on VHS Hi-Fi Stereo, then digital, then Type IV cassette tape with dolby S then vinyl at the very end of the spectrum. I have a table with physical specs of all those sans reel.
But it all comes down to mastering, if the master is the victim of loudness wars, it's gonna be bad.

Either way, someone has the Time Machine Part 1 without the bursts of white noise from the Electronica Super Deluxe Edition and could send me a correct copy, as mine has the problem?
Post Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

SF01 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:27 am A well mastered CD will sound miles better than the imperfect and noisy analog medium with static and surface noise, limited dynamics, bass in mono and limted dynamic range. The best analog sound you will get on open reel then on VHS Hi-Fi Stereo, then digital, then Type IV cassette tape with dolby S then vinyl at the very end of the spectrum. I have a table with physical specs of all those sans reel.
But it all comes down to mastering, if the master is the victim of loudness wars, it's gonna be bad.
Absolutely true, the things I'd do for decent audio engineers to be working on the digital releases again. But that's a thing of the past unfortunately. You still have the occasional really well mastered digital release, but they're rare these days. Also the thing with tape, it's not really a thing that's being used anymore. Cassettes are making a come back, but it's the cheapest of cheapest tape. Fun novelty, but without decent tape, absolutely worthless.

I don't remember which artist it was, but I recall someone releasing a digital release where they stated on their site that it was a softer release because they transferred the tape to the digital realm, and that was it. They did nothing with the volume, they did not mess around with it other than the transfer. Sounded bloody good as well.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:23 pm
Jote

Online Now
Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

shadow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm I don't remember which artist it was, but I recall someone releasing a digital release where they stated on their site that it was a softer release because they transferred the tape to the digital realm, and that was it. They did nothing with the volume, they did not mess around with it other than the transfer. Sounded bloody good as well.
Kate Bush methinks
Post Posted Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm
SF01

shadow wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:39 pm
SF01 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:27 am A well mastered CD will sound miles better than the imperfect and noisy analog medium with static and surface noise, limited dynamics, bass in mono and limted dynamic range. The best analog sound you will get on open reel then on VHS Hi-Fi Stereo, then digital, then Type IV cassette tape with dolby S then vinyl at the very end of the spectrum. I have a table with physical specs of all those sans reel.
Absolutely true, the things I'd do for decent audio engineers to be working on the digital releases again. But that's a thing of the past unfortunately. You still have the occasional really well mastered digital release, but they're rare these days. Also the thing with tape, it's not really a thing that's being used anymore. Cassettes are making a come back, but it's the cheapest of cheapest tape. Fun novelty, but without decent tape, absolutely worthless.

I don't remember which artist it was, but I recall someone releasing a digital release where they stated on their site that it was a softer release because they transferred the tape to the digital realm, and that was it. They did nothing with the volume, they did not mess around with it other than the transfer. Sounded bloody good as well.
Thay are Type I not even super ferrics, but honestly those are very good quality tapes both from France and Korea (avoid chinese), I do have many new releases on tape and they sound well, the latest tape I listened to peaked at +5 with no distortion.
Post Posted Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:11 pm
mikezero

Can anyone point me in the right direction or assist on how to obtain the download material for Electronica Fan Box Set Vol. 2 since the download links are no longer in existence? Thanks in advance.
Concerts attended:

Destination Docklands 1988
Europe in Concert Wembley 1993
Oxygene Tour Birmingham 1997
Oxygene 30th Anniversary Royal Albert Hall 2008
Indoor Arena Tour (part 1) Wembley & Birmingham Arenas 2009
Indoor Arena Tour (part 4) Birmingham 2010
Post Posted Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm
SF01

mikezero wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:11 pm Can anyone point me in the right direction or assist on how to obtain the download material for Electronica Fan Box Set Vol. 2 since the download links are no longer in existence? Thanks in advance.
I'm afraid you will have to resort to illegal downloads, since the webstore is closed, download website no longer operational and the label uniterested in supporting the release.
Post Posted Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I've been relistening to both Electronica albums quite a lot recently (properly for the first time since their releases), liking them a lot more than I used to back in the day. The only real bummers (for the moment) for me are "Rely On Me", "The Architect" and "Exit" - even "Walking The Mile" has grown on me quite a lot.

(Still, Stardust is like what Burn is to PSB - not necessarily a revolutionary masterpiece, but a damn stellar quintessential-for-the-artist track of greatness ;))
Post Posted Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:36 pm
Dr_Jones

Oh, I think The Architect is one of the top tier tracks on this project. It reminds me of tracks like Night In Shanghai from the China album. Funny how that works.
of the best
Finaero wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm (Still, Stardust is like what Burn is to PSB - not necessarily a revolutionary masterpiece, but a damn stellar quintessential-for-the-artist track of greatness ;))
Oh I like the comparison. The longer I think about it, the more it makes sense!
Post Posted Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:46 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Yeah, it's weird, at the moment "The Architect" sort of feels like a letdown to me (whereas originally I liked it a lot more)... guess I'm currently in too much of a "hey, "Switch on Leon" is a lot nicer than I remembered" mood ;)
Post Posted Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:12 pm
Dr_Jones

I found an old item on Electronica and the tour from Swiss TV.

It contains some interesting footage from Zermatt (1992) and Lausanne (1993) too.
Post Posted Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:44 am
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 44

"Ten years ago, Edward Snowden warned us about state spying. Spare a thought for him, and worry about the future"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... rusbridger
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl