Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mike Oldfield

Post Posted Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 am
AnDrOiD

Velodynamic wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:Incantations sounds great! This is how remastering should be done. :bravo:
Then my pre-order wasn't in vain. :wink:

You can listen to Mike Oldfield talking on the radio about the reissue of Incantations (+ some more starting at about 1:39:00 and 15-20 minutes onward...)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b012sr41

thanks tubular.net :bravo:
Wow... I'm surprised how good it sounds, considering how difficult it apparently was to work with the original multi-track tapes. Unfortunately there's a hiccup in the sound @ 12:38 of part 4, my favorite part of the album, I guess it's one of them holes in the tape that Mike talks about? Oh, well. :)
SOUNDCLOUD
Rhythmus muss sein!

"20 years ago we had computers in the studios. Now we have studios in the computers" - Michel Moers.
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

AnDrOiD wrote:
Velodynamic wrote:
AnDrOiD wrote:Incantations sounds great! This is how remastering should be done. :bravo:
Then my pre-order wasn't in vain. :wink:

You can listen to Mike Oldfield talking on the radio about the reissue of Incantations (+ some more starting at about 1:39:00 and 15-20 minutes onward...)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b012sr41

thanks tubular.net :bravo:
Wow... I'm surprised how good it sounds, considering how difficult it apparently was to work with the original multi-track tapes. Unfortunately there's a hiccup in the sound @ 12:38 of part 4, my favorite part of the album, I guess it's one of them holes in the tape that Mike talks about? Oh, well. :)
Only one thing that bothers me a bit is that in this "teaser" during the radio interview I can hear many things I haven't really noticed before although Mike's own electric guitar sound is very faint. Is it like with HR and Ommadawn, the guitar sound has been turned down in the new mix in favour for the other more vague instruments from the original mix to enter the scene? :)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Robi

"I will release my next album at the end of this year"
Post Posted Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:31 pm
Velodynamic

Robi wrote:the interview

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c4c54c1 ... viewed.mp3

Concert next year?
Thank you Robi! :bravo:
"Possibly" concert next year and working with other musicians in his home studio.
Sounds fairly good to me. :) Unlike some other artists I've experienced Mike is always honest about what he's doing.
When he says something it's the fact. :wink:
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:35 pm
Robi

Velodynamic wrote:
Robi wrote:the interview

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c4c54c1 ... viewed.mp3

Concert next year?
Thank you Robi! :bravo:
"Possibly" concert next year and working with other musicians in his home studio.
Sounds fairly good to me. :) Unlike some other artists I've experienced Mike is always honest about what he's doing.
When he says something it's the fact. :wink:
Not like "new album next year (said in late 2007) and woooorld tour" :punch: :P :wink:
Post Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:28 pm
Velodynamic

I've been listening to the Deluxe Edition CD+DVD album and disc 2 leaves me quite puzzled. Very interesting. Northhumbrian I have never heard before. It sounds like new recordings but perhaps they're just tweeked in the mix from some old master tapes? The titles with "2011 stereo mix" are: Diana, Northumbrian, Piano Improvisation, Hiawatha, Canon For Two Vibraphones, Guilty and Diana-Desiderata. On Hiawatha you can hear he has used Maddy Prior's characteristic voice from the old version, but driven the b'jesus out of it through some nasty digital auto-tuning toy. But there are some really good stuff there too. I like the Piano Imrovisation very much. 8)
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:47 pm
Rubberlips

I'm not a huge Oldfield fan, but do have the Three Tubular Bells plus Tubular Bells 2003. I prefer the mix of Tubular Bells 2003 to the original version, but I am continually blown away by Tubular Bells III. Oldfield recorded it on Ibiza and I think that influence comes through. Recorded as Drum n' Bass was at a peak, this album has a really great vibe to it. I love listening to it!

Just recently I've been rediscovering vinyl and picked up a copy of Mike Oldfield "Boxed" from a charity shop. This includes "quad" versions of Oldfield's first three albums (Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn) and a fouth disc of misc stuff.

The most interesting thing about this record is the "Sailors Hornpipe" on Tubular Bells. When Oldfield was putting the original album together he and Viv Stanshall had this drunken idea to record the Hornpipe by sticking microphones in each room of the manor house where it was recorded, and march through the house playing it, with Stanshall uttering something mad as he led the band. They recorded this but Virgin considered it to be too far out to put it out, so a standard studio version of the Hornpipe was recorded for the actual album. The "Boxed" version of Tubular Bells fades out before it gets to the Hornpipe, there's a gap, then the original "drunk" version of The Sailors Hornpipe plays. It is genuinely bizarre, but a neat little trinket and a nice discovery, especially from a charity shop.

No scratches either, but the box is in a bad way... still, I'm not looking for perfection, just vinyl to enjoy listening to... this was a good find!
web: http://www.wix.com/carlpurkins/the-carl-purkins-website
email: carlpurkins@yahoo.com
blog: carlpurkins.blogspot.com

"I called the album 'Oxygene' because air is a necessity and I hope that, like air, my music is a basic need appreciated by everyone of all ages." - J M Jarre
Post Posted Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:28 pm
serjio

Give a listen to the Music of the Spheres - also rehashed Tubular Bells. This time with a symphonic feel. :fine:
Post Posted Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Likes given: 1
Likes received  : 9

Post Posted Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:10 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Bought Incantations on Vinyl today and Ommadawn, still have to listen to the second one. Already own Incantations on the Deluxe Edition which is awesome btw! :peacemaan:
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 am
shadow

Likes received  : 35

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is any difference between the mixing of different Tubular Bells III releases? I currently own the album in: The Complete Tubular Bells (2003), but the mixing on the album is horrible. Especially in the last track the Tubular Bells are pretty much swallowed by the rest of the mix. So are the 1998 releases better, or do those CD's feature the exact same mastering?
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:49 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 310

Mike Oldfield - London Olympics 2012:
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011
TUI Arena, Hannover - 2011
Festival International de Carthage - 2013
Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham - 2016
Post Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:00 pm
Black Bird

Sorry can`t look, this video is blocked by the International Olympic Committee :(
Great musician ! I saw him on TV :D
Post Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:20 pm
Robi

from MOJO

"I'm fed up with all these computers and samplers, the next album's going to be hard rock, lots of guitars, real drums, real vocals, Hammond organs."

:)
Post Posted Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm
Kanta
English Moderator & Miss News

Likes given: 79
Likes received  : 310

Robi wrote:from MOJO

"I'm fed up with all these computers and samplers, the next album's going to be hard rock, lots of guitars, real drums, real vocals, Hammond organs."

:)
Back to the roots of making music. Well done, Mike. 8)
Jarregirl YouTube
Concerts attended:
Théâtre Marigny, Paris - 2007
Symphony Hall, Birmingham - 2008
RAH, London - 2008
Wembley Arena, London - 2009
NIA, Birmingham - 2009
POP Bercy, Paris - 2010
NIA, Birmingham - 2010
O2 Arena, London - 2010
Zénith Aréna, Lille - 2010
Port Hercule, Monaco - 2011