Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Mike Oldfield

Post Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

That's very strange I think because the paid TV-channel doesn't seem to show it anymore...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03cw8g0

I can watch it on the tube though. If only I knew how to rip it from YouTube?? :roll:
Black Bird wrote:
Mike is inspired by divorce, he has creative ideas without a woman. JMJ only if he has a woman. :wink:
Well as the producer of Tubular Bells, Tom Newman, puts it in the documentary the music came to Mike through pain. He was a mental "wreck" by the time when TB was composed. Mike's depression started when his mother lost her fourth child (David) who died from Down Syndrome when he was only about 1 year old. She never became herself again after that and the whole Oldfield family suffered a form of crisis. So playing guitar and other instruments and composing music was the only way for Mike to be able to deal with reality whatsoever.

What was the spark to the compositions of Oxygene or Equinoxe in Jean Michel Jarre's case is hard to know as apparently he has chosen not to speak openly about it the same way as Mike Oldfield have told us. I respect that though.
A man has his fully right to some privacy. :)
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:12 pm
Herr Dunkel

Likes given: 39
Likes received  : 10

@ Velodynamic,

Thanks for the YouTube link.

If you use Firefox as a browser you can install an add-on called "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader" for it.

The add-on will place a Download button under a YouTube video. When you click on it you can choose from a variety of video and audio formats you want to download. I'm downloading the documentary now :-)

Cheers,

HD
Concerts: 2017: Upper Darby < 2010: Lille, Liège, Paris < 1997: Lille < 1990: La Défense
Post Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:22 pm
Black Bird

Velodynamic wrote:That's very strange I think because the paid TV-channel doesn't seem to show it anymore...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03cw8g0

I can watch it on the tube though. If only I knew how to rip it from YouTube?? :roll:
Black Bird wrote:
Mike is inspired by divorce, he has creative ideas without a woman. JMJ only if he has a woman. :wink:
Well as the producer of Tubular Bells, Tom Newman, puts it in the documentary the music came to Mike through pain. He was a mental "wreck" by the time when TB was composed. Mike's depression started when his mother lost her fourth child (David) who died from Down Syndrome when he was only about 1 year old. She never became herself again after that and the whole Oldfield family suffered a form of crisis. So playing guitar and other instruments and composing music was the only way for Mike to be able to deal with reality whatsoever.

What was the spark to the compositions of Oxygene or Equinoxe in Jean Michel Jarre's case is hard to know as apparently he has chosen not to speak openly about it the same way as Mike Oldfield have told us. I respect that though.
A man has his fully right to some privacy. :)
Yes every human has a fully right to have privacy. Thanks for explanation. :) I did not know about Mike Oldfields psychical pain. But for me he gave me the best concerts I ever attended The Millenium Concert at Berlin 1999/2000. (ecept "The Wall " by Pink Floyd) It was so fantastic, I will never forget. And I`m sad about his "scrapped" charisma today. He looks sick on the pics.
Jean Michel Jarre told some time about his inspiration by women, so if he will produce a new album we can be sure he has a woman by his side now. :wink:
Post Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:26 pm
Black Bird

Herr Dunkel wrote:@ Velodynamic,

Thanks for the YouTube link.

If you use Firefox as a browser you can install an add-on called "YouTube Video and Audio Downloader" for it.

The add-on will place a Download button under a YouTube video. When you click on it you can choose from a variety of video and audio formats you want to download. I'm downloading the documentary now :-)

Cheers,

HD
Yes, I have such YouTube downloader for IE but if YouTube don´t Show this Video, there is nothing to download.....I guess..... :? But ...I will try .

But this docu will be broadcast at the 11.April, so maybe later there it will be also on Youtube ? :)

Edit: No it don´t work. I can copy the link into the app, but than it was written in German,
" This Video is not available in your Country " :roll:
Post Posted Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:58 pm
Velodynamic

Black Bird wrote: Yes every human has a fully right to have privacy. Thanks for explanation. :) I did not know about Mike Oldfields psychical pain. But for me he gave me the best concerts I ever attended The Millenium Concert at Berlin 1999/2000. (ecept "The Wall " by Pink Floyd) It was so fantastic, I will never forget. And I`m sad about his "scrapped" charisma today. He looks sick on the pics.
Jean Michel Jarre told some time about his inspiration by women, so if he will produce a new album we can be sure he has a woman by his side now. :wink:
Wow you was at that pretty concert. I envy you. 8)
Mike's face kind of tell you what a tough life he must have lived. Life as a celebrity came as a shock for him at a sensitive periode and he wasn't prepared. He probably didn't took very good care of his body during that era as he used some of his fortune to build walls between himself and the journalists as best as he could. Too much alcohol, smokes and even some LSD "experiments" wich really didn't help. He has a lot of hair left on his head though. His humor and the long guitar nails are still there.
Except from this Mike has also been in relationships with women (some for the better and some for the worse) and has got at least two kids what I know of.

I never knew JMJ have said that about inspiration and women. However looking back at his career it's an accurate statement in a way. :)
Black Bird wrote: But this docu will be broadcast at the 11.April, so maybe later there it will be also on Youtube ? :)
AH yes, you're right! I was 1 month too early in my brain. :lol:
It says on the BBC4's site they will show it there right after the broadcasting so hopefully there will be more links to follow later on.

Thank you Mr Dunkel for that information. I'll try this recording technique as soon as time exists. :fine:
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:17 am
Project_Z

Velodynamic wrote:... and has got at least two kids what I know of.
He has 7 kids : Molly, Dougal, Luke, Greta, Noah, Jake and Eugene
Post Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:43 am
Velodynamic

Project_Z wrote:
Thanx. Yes Molly and Eugene sounds familiar. :)

Black Bird: Check your PM. :wink:
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:37 pm
Black Bird

Velodynamic wrote:
Project_Z wrote:
Thanx. Yes Molly and Eugene sounds familiar. :)

Black Bird: Check your PM. :wink:
Yes, thank you very much Velodynamic :D

Wow 7 Kids, I had not realized that there are so many. From different women (?) I think some are adult ?
Velodynamic wrote:
Black Bird wrote: Yes every human has a fully right to have privacy. Thanks for explanation. :) I did not know about Mike Oldfields psychical pain. But for me he gave me the best concerts I ever attended The Millenium Concert at Berlin 1999/2000. (ecept "The Wall " by Pink Floyd) It was so fantastic, I will never forget. And I`m sad about his "scrapped" charisma today. He looks sick on the pics.
Velodynamic wrote: Wow you was at that pretty concert. I envy you. 8)
Mike's face kind of tell you what a tough life he must have lived. Life as a celebrity came as a shock for him at a sensitive periode and he wasn't prepared. He probably didn't took very good care of his body during that era as he used some of his fortune to build walls between himself and the journalists as best as he could. Too much alcohol, smokes and even some LSD "experiments" wich really didn't help. He has a lot of hair left on his head though. His humor and the long guitar nails are still there.
Except from this Mike has also been in relationships with women (some for the better and some for the worse) and has got at least two kids what I know of.

I never knew JMJ have said that about inspiration and women. However looking back at his career it's an accurate statement in a way. :)

Yes, this concert was in real much more atmospheric, bombastic, musically and visually ....a Revelation !!! More than the Video can repreduce. I will never forget the feelings I had this night.

Yes sad for Mike , but it seems he had to be the burden of a child prodigy ??? I can rember in the 80th he was aked more and more about his Genius "Tubular Bells"
The pressure to create such masterpiece again was enormously. He has created another wonderful works, even in recent times, but like any artist, he also had weaker phases

I have these interviews here in the forums read by old links from other fans. One was in German. He told a few times that he needs a muse. His best was perhaps Charlotte Rampling (?). But maybe he sucks the personality and converts it to music? This could be, because his creative phases with the respective women (if known) were also different. I mean especially the feelings that inducing his music while listening. Hard to explain :)
Post Posted Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:22 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

I've been listening to more and more Mike Oldfield lately. Well, not as much Mike Oldfield than Tubular Bells, but still. I do prefer Tubular Bells 2003 to the original (I wish the former got a vinyl release at some point), but man, is the original version (where they're all drunk) of "The Sailor's Hornpipe" from the original album hilarious. :]

Just ordered the 2015 vinyl reissue of Tubular Bells II (so far my favorite album, even though it is a bit cheesy at times* :P), here's hoping it will be outstanding. 8)

* = More or less, some of the instrument choices are a bit... uncouth. The music remains great, however, so it reminds me a lot of the Final Fantasy VII game soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu - while great, its impact can sort of be diminished by the cheap instruments... which of course also add to the charm of the game :]
Post Posted Tue May 12, 2015 5:48 pm
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

Received the Tubular Bells II vinyl last week, actually. Sounds gorgeous.

Also picked up my copy of Tubular Bells 2003, and I really prefer it to the original album which at sounds really sounds like it was just cobbled together in a week.
Post Posted Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:51 am
Dominc

Found this on Soundcloud recently, a full synthesized version of Mike's Hergest Ridge 1. Captures thel atmosphere of the original
Silicon Ridge I
It's more fun to compute on the Autobahn
Post Posted Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm
Velodynamic

Universal will re-release on December 2nd a remastered vinyl edition of the 1979 double live album Exposed, as well as Collaborations, originally included as part of the 1976 Boxed compilation set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/AS ... dfitubulwe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/Co ... WXQD7CT0Y7

Thx to: Olivier @ Tubular.net
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:48 pm
Velodynamic

Been really hyped for the new album. Such an amazing year and a half for me. Vangelis, Jarre, Oldfield all new albums! :D
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:00 pm
shadow

Likes received  : 35

As much as I absolutely love owning all three albums on transparent vinyl, absolutely everything seems half baked about it. Missing drum hit in Part VI, clicks and pops through the entirety of Oxygene 7-13 and Oxygene 3 being ridiculously loud. Vinyl isn't much better and seems like a straight digital rip and are off-center for some.

I adore Jean-Michel, however that he keeps letting these things slip through and ends up blaming Sony in the end is terrible. Take some responsibility as the actual owner of the records. Put your foot down, say no and don't budge no matter what. If Vangelis and Mike Oldfield have full control over their older works why not him? The albums sound worse than they've ever done in the past fourthy years and it's amazing that this is the anniversary of one of the most celebrated electronic albums ever.
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:28 am
Velodynamic

- JEAN MICHEL JARRE

• 2020 Zoolook.nl