Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The current state of the forum

Post Posted Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:37 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

I've added some missing posts and topics which I could retrieve with mysql matching and parsing some cached search result pages. It's not much, but I'm not expecting a lot of lost posts anymore. There's now 99,000+ posts restored, which is more than I hoped for.

I've also worked on cleaning up some UTF-8 problems, which are gone now for the topic-titles and post-subjects. The forum texts themselves still have some strange character encodings, but I expect to remove them the coming week.

I took a look at Adam's adjusted modern theme, it looks good. The classic theme too, by the way.
Post Posted Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

The classic theme is finished & I am very pleased with it, for those who liked the look of the old forum it is about 95% the same.
Post Posted Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 pm
Dr_Jones

I've added the Classic style and the updated Modern style. You can easily switch styles with the Board Style dropdown at the bottom of the page ⤵️
Post Posted Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:56 am
Dr_Jones

I've added some more missing posts and topics. I couldn't see why they weren't added in earlier imports. Turns out there was something wrong with my assumption when a topic was moved. I've now ignored the topic-moved-ID (because I can't re-trace the original topic-ID) and that means that the moved topic is now cemented in the right forum. We're now at 49% of the forum restored!

I have been busy with restoring the forum several search engine caches, but I think I've come to the end of these resources. I have done a small test with quoted messages already, but that resulted in a handful of matches. I will now ponder on what I can do now to get more posts restored.

And I am using the Classic style now. Amazing how fast you can get nostalgic for a certain look.
Post Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 am
shadow

Likes received  : 35

Seeing some of the old stuff reappear is great. Again, if there's anything I can do in some way, more than happy to do so! :D
27-11-10: Ahoy Rotterdam
22-11-16: Heineken Music Hall Amsterdam
Post Posted Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:47 pm
Analog-Umph

Likes given: 3
Likes received  : 1

Thank you so much for this immense work guys. The forum looks ultra cool. Love all the themes. This will take us well into this century.

Btw, I have seen some errors where I remember the topics were started by certain users, but now it's another user's name that is in that place.

Also my last post, it appears that something has happened, whereby the person I was answering to now appears to have made the post I made to him.
Without faith nothing is possible. With it, nothing is impossible.
Post Posted Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:29 am
Dr_Jones

That is certainly possible. If you find such errors, let me know and I'll fix it.
Post Posted Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:47 pm
Dr_Jones

I just added 4114 posts and 66 missing topics. This brings the total of restored posts to 51.3%. I now have restored over half of the posts, something I couldn't even imagine at the beginning of this adventure.

Which brings me to one of the things that is missing for me: the creators of certain posts. In order to get a post on this forum, there needs to be an author. Of certain posts, I don't know who created it, so I've assigned those to a user called "Organa".
You can view all those posts here:
https://www.zoolook.nl/forum/search.php ... 6&sr=posts
If anyone recognizes their post, let me know and then I'll assign it to the correct user.

More of these posts will follow, I'm sure.
Post Posted Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:20 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

I guess "Organa" is a fun name, but it might be confusing to people who are not aware what happened (esp. when they recognize their post as written by "Organa"). Perhaps it would be best to name that user "(unknown)" or sth like that.
Post Posted Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm
Adam

Likes given: 9
Likes received  : 6

Or you could add a signature to "Organa" with an explanation that is a post with an unknown author & something along the lines of if this is your post please send me a PM..
Last edited by Adam on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Posted Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:22 pm
Dr_Jones

Good call!
Post Posted Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:02 pm
Jote

Likes given: 55
Likes received  : 68

Adam wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:20 pm Or you could add a signature to "Organa" with an explanation that is a post with an unknown author & something along the lines of if this is your post please send me a PM..
Good idea, although I'd still rename the user to "(unknown)" - it's more likely to set a "warning flag", people tend to ignore signatures (I know I do!)
Post Posted Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:14 pm
Dr_Jones

I renamed him to (Unknown), but I am keeping Bail Organa's profile picture!
Post Posted Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:51 pm
Dr_Jones

There's currently 98030 orphaned posts not published on the forum yet. I'm adding some posts by hand now to see if there's an easy, programmable way to link these posts to topics and forums. It's not going to be easy or fast as far as I see now.
Post Posted Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:07 pm
Dr_Jones

Added a few hundrerd of lost posts again and I dug up a very nice topic that was missing: the Conductor of the Masses scans made by Jon. I've restored the topic and added mainly Jon's posts. Other posts made by other uses will be added later. Watch this gem here:

https://zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3378

• 2020 Zoolook.nl