Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Killers

Post Posted Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 43

I have always liked The Killers, since their first album Hot Fuss. I loved the fusion of synths, British pop sensibilities and heartland Americana. A unique sound, really. And when I found out Brandon Flowers loved New Order and Pet Shop Boys - well, what's not to like?!

Anyway, their new album was released last week, Pressure Machine. And it is in no way electronic. It has a stripped back, singer/songwriter, Midwest country sound. So why post about this on a JMJ forum? Well, each track is proceeded by an audio recording of a resident of a small Utah town, talking about life in the town, what it means to them. Some of the audio is quite moving. It's reminiscent of the audio recordings that can be found between tracks on Cities in Concert Houston/Lyon.

And the final track (Getting By) closes with the sound of a train. Not the sleek, fast French TGV sound, rushing by at high speed, that closes Magnetic Fields Pt 4 but a long, thunderous sound of a slow, American freight train. In a sense, both sounds lend themselves perfectly to their respective albums and creators. JMJ = French, high-tech, speed, futuristic. The Killers = American, heritage, heavy, slow and steady.

To wrap up, there is a "click" sound, like the closing of train doors (but I think it's the tape machine spooling out?) also similar to Magnetic Fields Pt 4. And after all these years, I am now conditioned to expect the first notes of The Last Rhumba :D
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.
Post Posted Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:56 pm
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

They were one of the highlights of the last Glastonbury (2019 already ;-( ). I was watching their performance with my girlfriend. When the encores were played (where Jimmy Carr was wiping the stage) and the first notes of a vocoderized "Teeee-heeelll meeeeee" my girfriend said: "Hey, isn't that the Pet Shop Boys?" and then they came on stage and played Always on my mind with the band. That was brilliant.

I usually like their stuff, but I'm afraid this album will be too underproduced for me. I like the big sounds they've done.
Post Posted Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:12 pm
Richard-Eastham

Likes given: 160
Likes received  : 43

Yes, that appearance with PSB at Glastonbury was brilliant! Agree too, I much prefer their previous, richer sound, but this latest album still works for me.
--
01.09.93 Manchester / 07.06.97 Manchester / 30.03.08 London / 22.05.09 London / 10.10.10 London / 01.07.11 Monaco / 04.05.16 London / 23.07.16 Macclesfield / 06.10.16 Brighton / 07.10.16 London.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl