Welcome to the new BlahBlahCafe!

Having trouble registering? You can contact us at the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pet shop boys

Post Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:13 am
Christophe

Velodynamic wrote:I'm afraid to say that I'm missing something from the old (80's-90's) PS Boys and wants it back.
I could only hear about half of the media markt snippets though.
It sounds "experimental" and software geekish but I can't no longer find the incredible "hit" factor that they once use to have.
I always listened to their "best-of" vinyl and on my dad's old and tired harman kardon hifi system from the 70's wich gave it the right *oopff* to the older synth sound. :pwned:
The track with JMJ though could be a good re-boot I think. ;)
"Yes" is the last good album for me! All what came after that sounds a litlle cheapy and fast made. Sorry, I listen the later tracks (after "Yes") and I have no feelings or touch with it. I miss the PSB sound of the 80' and 90'. Then they make hit after hit but now they sound like every synthpopgroup. In the past I was impressed by the special artworks of the albums/singles but now it's nothing special anymore! And I don't mean the expensive releases of the albums now that they release in limited or special order. They release in the past those things in regular record stores for normal prices. :(

Although I like the collaboration with Jarre. Neil's voice is still special to me. :D

Greetings,

Christophe
Post Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:24 am
Velodynamic

Likes given: 2
Likes received  : 7

Ok so I clicked the green button on my desktop and listened to the whole "Super" album, twice.
I found 3 tracks that I could rate as "decent". Those are The Pop Kids, The Dictator Decides and Burn. The rest feels like (if I may say) 'fast food'.
A bit of a shame as I really thought that they were on to something with the album Electric.
Insted of composing more hooks they just added more crazyness.
On the funny side with Super is the pattern of Twenty-something. Totally replica of Les Chants Magnétiques part II. :mrgreen:
"The worst thing in any form of art is to be betrayed by your own habits."
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:52 am
Christophe

"Twenty-something" is the only song on the album that I can appreciate! :wink:

Greetings,

Christophe
Post Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:51 am
Finaero

Likes given: 186
Likes received  : 54

One thing about "Twenty-something" that I really like is that it really sounds like a late-1990s dance song chord-wise... but is actually based on Henry Purcell's Cold Song. Even in their not-the-most-stellar moments PSB manage to put in clever and unexpected (to me, at least) references. ;)
Post Posted Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:01 pm
Velodynamic

"Clever" or lack of own ingenuity?
Well they've borrowed stuff before so why be surprised... :)
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 am
plate of chips

Likes received  : 21

Dr_Jones wrote:Super will be sold in the PSB pop-up-store in London:

Last week we announced a special pop-up store in London to mark the release of the Super album on April 1st. We can now reveal that the Super Store will be located in Boxpark Shoreditch, Unit 26, Braithwaite Street, E1 6GY.

The Super Store will sell a range of new Pet Shop Boys merchandise, including tee-shirts in five different designs, iPhone cases, a signed screen print (edition of 100), badges, and signed Super CDs and vinyl (while stocks last). There will also be listening stations with B&O Play headphones so visitors can listen to the album.

The shop will open from Friday April 1st to April 3rd, trading 11am to 7pm (Friday and Saturday) and 12pm to 6pm on Sunday.
:peacemaan:

I appreciate the info Dr. Jones. Was in Box Park PSB popup shop Friday.
Neat mininalist popup shop.

As far as album I preferred Electric produced by Stuart Price aka Jacques Lu Cont Less Rhythms Digitales.
Which is another way of saying Stuart Price did most of the music , PSB added vocals few bits here there.
Different from JmJ' Electronica where JmJ composed in different artists styles, artists added their part, JmJ completed and produced the tracks.

Super being PSB by themselves mainly sounds as castoffs from Electric or PSB trying to do Stuart Price.
PopKids is alright although lyrics rather amateur compared to PSB clever, memorable lyrics from their halcyon days.
Burn isn't too shabby fairly enjoyable.
Super is Lacking in imagination on the whole.
Tank is nearly empty.

PSB gave us some of the neatest Synth Pop , PSB can do what ever they want, they earnt it.
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:44 am
Finaero

Velodynamic wrote:"Clever" or lack of own ingenuity?
Well they've borrowed stuff before so why be surprised... :)
Well, mostly a subjective reaction since I totally thought the chord progression was a standard (yet effective) one from the late 1990s instead of an intentional reference to classical music. Shows what I know. ;)

I've also realized the similarities Burn has with Always On My Mind, similar to how Love Is A Bourgeois Construct from Electric has with Go West (and Thursday with West End Girls). Recreating the old hits, even if subconsciously, maybe?

@plate of chips: I think it's interesting to note how many artists are now collaborating with each other (to varying extents). JMJ with the Electronica cast, Vangelis with GZA, New Order with Iggy Pop, PSB and Stuart Price really hitting it off... it's like everyone's run out of creative juices so they need to stick together. Not a bad thing as long as the music's great. ;)

(Which sadly in Super's case, on my third day of listening, isn't really the case aside from select few tracks... such is life)
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

plate of chips wrote: Which is another way of saying Stuart Price did most of the music , PSB added vocals few bits here there.
This is the most absurd thing I've read regarding PSB and that includes the rumour that Pet Shop Boys got their name from a sexual practice which involves hamsters.
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 am
plate of chips

Dr_Jones wrote:Pet Shop Boys got their name from a sexual practice which involves hamsters.
You mean they didn't ?? :wink: :smoke:
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:26 am
Dr_Jones

Likes given: 193
Likes received  : 402

plate of chips wrote:Super being PSB by themselves mainly sounds as castoffs from Electric or PSB trying to do Stuart Price.
Tank is nearly empty.
Also, this is the 2nd most absurd thing I've heard.
1. Super is produced by Stuart Price, and is the 2nd of 3 albums they're going to make with him. So Super is not them trying to be Price, it's Price producing their songs for a 2nd time.

2. Never have I've seen such a prolific band as the Pet Shop Boys. Since 2006 (the year Fundamental came out), they've released 5 albums, a scrore for a ballet and a musical play based on the life of Alan Turing. Plus two albums worth of b-sides and non-album tracks. This says something about the quantity, not the quality. But the albums released in those 10 years include Fundamental and Electric, both regarded as high-quality albums.

Oh, the Dictator Decides is based on a track by Vivaldi btw.
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:47 am
Finaero

Fully agreed with Dr_Jones.
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:59 am
Velodynamic

Dr_Jones wrote: Oh, the Dictator Decides is based on a track by Vivaldi btw.
Yes it's Filiae Maestae Jerusalem Rv. 638.
You can recall it from the violin part.
- JEAN MICHEL JARRE
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:01 pm
plate of chips

Dr_Jones wrote:Super is produced by Stuart Price, and is the 2nd of 3 albums they're going to make with him.
Super is not them trying to be Price, it's Price producing their songs for a 2nd time.
It really shows :nod:

Dr_Jones wrote:
This is the most absurd thing I've read regarding PSB.

Also, this is the 2nd most absurd thing I've heard.
Now these are absurd :punch: :wink:

Fan of PSB since (EEB)WEG.
Domino Dancing one the most memorable synth hooks. Love Comes Quickly for me the most poignant synth pop song.

Alan Turing totally dig it.
PSB performing Royal Opera House upon inivitation.
Definitely worth getting tickets.
Post Posted Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:15 pm
Christophe

Even a big fan of PSB will take the biggest s**t as a masterpiece. They don't see that they are human like you and me and can make (big) mistakes! Nobody is perfect. :wink:

Jean-Michel Jarre have big masters**t too! I don't like so much the 2001-2007 era (Sessions 2000 until Téo & Téa) of him. :wink:

Greetings,

Christophe
Post Posted Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:13 pm
Ziggy

Wow this album!
Totally blown away!
I think is even better than Electric.
It's like they have more "experience" making this kind of music.
Electric had three of four numbers still on my playing list.
Actually this has everything on my list!

The Dictator Decides is a damn good song.

• 2020 Zoolook.nl